Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: too cold for a trapout?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
too cold for a trapout?
« on: March 19, 2010, 10:08:27 am »
Received a call regarding a bee tree.  Owner does not want the tree taken down, so the obvious route is the trap out. 

I have read, several times, the postings that iddee has written regarding the same.  I feel educated enough to try and muddle through it.  We will see.

Question is...how early is too early?  I know that locally we are a few weeks away from drones flying...I should say, "I think".  So, do I need to wait for that to be going on? 

Does the night time temp have to be a certain average to have a good chance of success?  I am considering the fact that the frames of brood have to be maintained by a small, but growing number of bees. 

Regardless it will be at least another week before I can even consider it, due to my schedule.  Hopefully my timing will not be too far off.   
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: too cold for a trapout?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 10:35:12 am »
1.. Yes, wait until drones are flying.
2..  The day temps should be high enough and sunny to get most of the foragers out. Enough to cover the brood that night.
3.. The forecast should be warm and sunny to continue the exodus.
4.. A second frame of eggs could be added after a few days for insurance.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*