Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ants?  (Read 3988 times)

Offline RayF

• New Bee
Ants?
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:32:47 am »
I moved a box to a friends block Friday night to take advantage of some Red Gum in blossum. He rang me today to tell me the hive has ants all over it.Its a strong active hive. Will the bees sort out the ants or do I need to sit the box in some water or somehing else to keep them out?
Perth Western Australia

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: Ants?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:55:43 am »
Hello Ray,
This might help  http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/content/aap/hbh/hea/fn2007_antstermites_btrend.pdf

I've heard a few people say they've lost hives to ants, pretty quickly sometimes.  Meat ants are pretty destructive. I wouldn't take a chance, especially with that beautiful red gum honey flow.
By the way, are they river red gums?  I planted a couple that have gone from 3 inches to 3 metres in a year, but I suppose it will be 30 years before they flower..

Lone

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:19:17 am »
I moved a box to a friends block Friday night to take advantage of some Red Gum in blossum. He rang me today to tell me the hive has ants all over it.Its a strong active hive. Will the bees sort out the ants or do I need to sit the box in some water or somehing else to keep them out?

I would strongly suggest a big tray filled with water or vegetable oil or something similar - then sit some cinder blocks in the tray and place the hive on top of that - ants can be a real killer to a hive!

Offline RayF

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:51:23 am »
Thanks,I believe thay are little black ants. I will have to go and have a look and see how they are.
They are not River Red Gums but the WA variety that have the big gum nuts. They still produce nice honey :)
Perth Western Australia

Offline ericthebee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 06:01:29 pm »
i cannot see any ants but think that's my problem, was unable to open hive as raining cats and dogs and cool last visit. I've been unwell and unable to do my usual fortnightly visits. I'm getting  crumbled up wax out the front of the hive and one hive a friend has told me is now dead. i will be inspecting them this weekend. I could not see any ants at all, but it's in termite country and there are a few big 'bulk ant' nests around.

would this be ants or something else ?? :-\

Offline Kan-ok bees

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:24:44 pm »
 It may not work for you but it does for me  I put 2 or 3 leaves of spearmint or pepermint on top of my frames. Ants will be gone the next morning. Don't knowif you have any down where you are but try it if you do

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:13:25 am »
Half a dozen scrunched up lime leaves works with the smallish type ants. Those big red angry ants don,t seem to have much that slows them except the find and pinch method which sometimes hurts your fingers if you are quick enough. A bit of liquid deterrent down their nest holes drives them away also.