Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB larva ?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Titus

• House Bee
SHB larva ?
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:59:43 am »
I have screened bottom boards and noticed on the plastic pull out sheet (the one that gets sprayed with Pam oil) a few maybe 3 SHB larva.  Most of the sheet was covered in small yellow bits, like crumbs of comb I guess.  Is that normal or is that the result of the larva boring and chewing up the comb?  I didn't see any actual beetles on the sheet or in the hive during inspection.

Thanks

Titus

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: SHB larva ?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:51:44 am »
I have screened bottom boards and noticed on the plastic pull out sheet (the one that gets sprayed with Pam oil) a few maybe 3 SHB larva.  Most of the sheet was covered in small yellow bits, like crumbs of comb I guess.  Is that normal or is that the result of the larva boring and chewing up the comb?  I didn't see any actual beetles on the sheet or in the hive during inspection.

Thanks

Titus

The white and yellow stuff is most probably cappings, the red dots most likely mites, the SHB larva were probably ejected by the bees.  A few SHB in a hive can be harder to find than an unmarked queen.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 05:37:17 am »
One of the surest ways of detecting the shb is to take the top off the hive and invert it on the ground. Take the supers off and place them on the top. You can then do your brood box inspection and after that replace the supers and check the hive top for beetle. They dont like the light and will move down to the hive top where you will find them hiding in corners or see bees attempting to corral them. You can then despatch them with your hive tool or whatever.

If you have only the brood box and no supers place the brood box on the upturned lid.

If you find shb you need to be very aware of the devestation that they can cause and you should have a look at some of the threads on traps and managing them

Mick

Offline Titus

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:21:44 am »
Thanks for the replys, I'll try the inverted lid test.  I do have brood hatching now, so maybe thats all it is. thats a relief.

Thanks