Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How much honey in a Qt. canning jar?  (Read 57940 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: How much honey in a Qt. canning jar?
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2009, 04:43:31 pm »
In Mo. you must have a lable with your name and address and net wt. I can only get 46 oz. in a qt (golden harvest, brand) i can get 24 oz. in a pint (golden harvest). I also sell 12 oz. and 24 oz. bears, clam shell boxes of comb honey 8 oz. and 16 oz. We have to tare weigh our containers before we fill them. You have to have an approved kitchen ( inspected by the health dept.) and the state sends the weight and measure inspectors around to check your scales ( and charge you $5.00 for checking it). Yes we weigh every container, these laws applies if you sell at farmers markets or wholesale it to a buisness. If you just sell from your home or farm you still have to label it with your name and address and net wt. I sell at the Fair Grove, Mo. Farms Market and from my home, sometimes i wonder if it's worth it.  Jack

is this true even for farmers market stuff?  seems like it would make cottage type farmers sales pretty hard. those are usually excluded from retail food sale rules.  what about  fields that are u-pick, etc?  is honey different because it needs "processing"?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.