Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First ever inspection.  (Read 1440 times)

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
First ever inspection.
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:22:23 pm »
Well, the girls have been in their hives since last Wednesday. Tomorrow the weather is supposed to take a turn for the worse so I took advantage of the 70 degree weather today to do my first ever inspection. All went well. Both queens had been released, and I found both of them. (Thank goodness for marked queens!!). Both hives have started to build out comb pretty well. Both hives had 3 or 4 frames with eggs already layed. (Thank goodness for black foundation!!). Both hives had stores of necter (from 1:1 syrup I'm feeding I would think), and pollen. I took out a little burr comb from each hive where they had built it around the empty queen cages. Should I frame that.....kinda like the first dollar you make from a new business?  :-D .
The only thing that I thought looked different that from what I've read, was that each hive had only taken about 24 oz. each of 1:1 syrup with Honey B Healthy and Fumagilin B in it. I've heard that they take a good couple quarts a week? Only thing blooming around here now are dandelions and a few cherry blossoms. Could they be getting nectar someplace else? Or is the amount of 1:1 they've taken within the normal range for 3# packages in their first week. Like I said, they seem to be producing lots of comb on the new Pierco plastic frame/foundation, and storing lots of goodies and laying lots of eggs.
Thoughts?

You can see the busy little girls in the photo/video forum.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
Re: First ever inspection.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 01:04:24 am »
That's awesome.  I did my first inspection a couple of days ago as well and everything went well.  With my two hives (both Carnolians), I noticed a definate difference of personalities.  One was mellow, and one was more aggressive.  The more aggressive one also seems to be taking in more sugar water.  Did you notice any difference between your two hives?
-Mike, Spokane/CdA
-Mike

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 07:02:28 am »
... I've heard that they take a good couple quarts a week? Only thing blooming around here now are dandelions and a few cherry blossoms. Could they be getting nectar someplace else? Or is the amount of 1:1 they've taken within the normal range for 3# packages in their first week.
While I'm not familiar with your local climate, generally if dandelions are blooming, there's plenty of other things blooming as well. Yes, a 3# package may suck down a quart a day if nothing else is available, but it sounds like they've found something they like better.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:19:38 pm »
I've noticed the intake of sugar syrup varies alot based upon the temperature.  When I installed mine, it was 60's, 70's, and they were taking 1/2 pint to a pint a day.  The temp dropped to the 40's, and they have been taking about 1/2 that for the past two days.  Also, my more aggressive hive takes more syrup, but the other hive seems to have more bees flying at the entrance and out foraging...that is why is is so cool to have two hives..so you can compare their activity and identify anything out of the ordinary.
-Mike