Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Putting a Pkg into an 8 frame Medium  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Putting a Pkg into an 8 frame Medium
« on: March 17, 2013, 12:28:58 am »
I really hate to show my ignorance but here goes.

When I get my hives they will be 8 frame and all medium supers.

When I place a Package into the first super I will be using foundationless frames.

I also have some pf120's all plastic frames with built in plastic foundation.

I was thinking I should place one of the pf120's in the box near the middle to give the bees a ladder to get to the top of the frames so they could build comb down.

Also when should I add the next super. Don't want to demoralize the bees.

Need your thoughts please.

Thanks

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Putting a Pkg into an 8 frame Medium
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:10:16 pm »
If you are going foundationless, and have some frames with plastic foundation, to help keep comb straight you may want to put a foundationless between foundation frame etc.  When they are ready for next box take a couple of frames from bottom and put in top replace them with empties.  Keep a check on them, you can straighten foundationless comb by gently pressing with fingers in the direction needed. Good luck

Joe

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:26 pm »
Thanks Joe,

I was thinking of alternating plastic then empty with a comb guide then plastic and so on in the bottom box. When I add another box move the plastic up and replace with empty in the lower until I totally work the plastic out when filled with honey.

At least that is my plan right now. All things subject to change. :)

Thanks again

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 06:18:15 pm »
Start with several of the PF frames in the center and let the bees have them to establish housekeeping on and start regressing to a more natural size.  I assume that is part of the reason yoy are going foundationless.  When the bees have capped brood on two frames, put your first foundationless frame between the PF's and slide them tight to gether.  After that floundationless frame is drawn, full of brood, and capped: Put another one beside it.  In better than a month, When the bees are working on the outside two frames, move them to the center so you have drawn frames in 1 and 8 and move a frame with brood up into the second medium and put it on top or under super, something to be said for both.  Keep feeding in the foundationless frames to get them filled.  Put a bunch in at a time and you will have some straightening to do.  Send those nasty drawn PF's to me after you have replaced them  with foundationless and I promise I will properly dispose of them in an effiecent manner.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:52:11 am »
I would start with one box and fill it full of PF120s.  I would add the next box when all of the frames have been started.  Then pull two of them (probably the outside two frames) up to the next box and put foundationless in their place and fill out the next box with foundationless (unless you want more pF120s).

I would NOT alternate foundationless and plastic.  They will drawn the foundationless and ignore the plastic.

I would leave the PF120s in and just use foundationless after that if that's what you want.  There is nothing wrong with the PF120s.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:10:56 am »
Thanks Michael,

One other thing, since I don't have any drawn frames, should I go ahead and take the cork out of the queen cage or wait a few days until the bees have started drawing? Really don't want them to leave.

Thanks

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 03:16:23 pm »
>One other thing, since I don't have any drawn frames, should I go ahead and take the cork out of the queen cage or wait a few days until the bees have started drawing? Really don't want them to leave.

With the plastic foundation,  you can put the cage in with no ill effects, but the queen in the cage will not stop them from leaving if that's what they are going to do.  I've had them leave with the queen in the cage just as often as when she is released.  The best thing to anchor them is open brood.  A few drops of lemongrass essential oil helps.  A box that used to have bees in it helps.  An old comb helps.  But if you have none of those, odds are they will stay anyway.  :)

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mmmooretx

• Brood
Re: Re: Putting a Pkg into an 8 frame Medium
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 05:26:11 pm »
IF you have other hives, even with deeps, start one frame (per hive) there and let them use that for a starter (new med. hive). I am starting 3 med. Only hives 6 Apr. and started frames in my deep hives.  However I did have to trim the extra comb off of the bottom of my med. foundationless frames (Kelley type F)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Mike
Zone 9A
N5RWH

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:00:13 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks guys for all of your input.

The more the merrier.

It is just what I needed.

Thanks again

David
"Give it All You've Got"