Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2nd Honey Super On First Year Hive  (Read 2361 times)

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
2nd Honey Super On First Year Hive
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:39:35 pm »
Just curious...

I put a second honey super on my first year hive this week because the first is 80% full and capped.

Was I right to add a second super of undrawn frames, or should I be trying to slow them down in preparation for winter?

I'm not experienced enough to tell if/when we have a flow or dearth on.  All I know is they have been steadily filling the first super, and putting a bit more than I'd like down below.

Will they have time to draw and fill the second super before they should be concentrating on winter storage and winter brood rearing.

Seems like a pretty strong hie overall.  Lots of bees, and stores.

Thanks.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: 2nd Honey Super On First Year Hive
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:49:33 pm »
i think you are fine. if they have stored enough below for winter, there is no reason for you not to take the extra.  you can not slow them down if they are bringing stuff in.  they will continue to do that.
how many boxes do you have for brood?    check also to see what the outside frames look like.  if they are not full, rotate them to the center.  put the (hopefully drawn) frames on either side of the current brood. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:13:23 pm »
I'm using ten-frame gear, and have two full brood boxes.

Everything is drawn out in both brood boxes and the first honey super.

In both brood boxes I have maybe one or two full frames of capped honey on the outsides.

In the upper brood box I've got 6-7 frames in the middle that all have brood in the center/bottom and a rim of pollen/uncapped nectar above that, and a rim of capped honey at the top.   In this upper deep I've also got 1-2 frames of uncapped "wet stores" ( nectar or syrup).

In the lower brood deep I've got a couple of center frames of brood/pollen/capped honey ( as above) and 7-8 frames of uncapped wet stores ( as above) and maybe one frame of totally capped honey.

First honey super is ten frames drawn, eight of which are packed to overflowing and capped.  The other two are filling fast and 30-50% capped.

Second super went on yesterday with frames of foundation. When I did that I took three frames of drawn comb and capped honey from the first honey super and spread them out evenly in the new super ( hoping to encourage activity up above in the new super).  I then back-filled those spots in the fist super with empty ( foundation filled) frames from the new super.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:57:31 pm »
what type of bee do you have, they sound like kick *ss bees

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:18:53 pm »
They are you "basic" Russian/Italian hybrids.

Russian queen and a package of Italian ladies.

Hived in early April, sp they got a nice early start and that seems to have made all the difference.  They've been strong all year.

anything