6 (25%)
Yes, I would like to do them
16 (66.7%)
I'm Not interested
2 (8.3%)
I don't think they can be done
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Trap Outs  (Read 4748 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Trap Outs
« on: February 24, 2009, 06:41:38 pm »
After a recent thread went from removal to trap outs, I learned some have tried them with limited success. I decided to take a poll and see if anybody wanted to hear my success stories and how they came about. In other words, do you want to know how to successfully do a trap out?

As with removals, the rules are varied, and must be adapted to the individual situation, but some basic rules do apply.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Trap Outs
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:44:10 pm »
I answered yes but only for the info. Because I actually do them on occasion.

:)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 06:45:41 pm »
i want to learn.  i do my removals for free, so don't know if i want to get into the work of a trap out, but one never knows......   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 06:49:15 pm »
I understand the basic concepts but am unfamiliar with the fine details which to me draws the line between a successful and non successful trap out.

I am eagerly awaiting your posts. One question though, got any short cuts to the learning curve?? :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 07:10:44 pm »
>>>>I am eagerly awaiting your posts. One question though, got any short cuts to the learning curve?? grin<<<<

With my pea brain, even shortcuts take a long time.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:18:16 pm »
Like I said in an earlier post there are two chimneys that I know of right now that trap outs would be the ticket on.

I am very excited about this thread, thanks for starting it Iddee.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:36:05 pm »
JP, If the interest is there, I will start another thread and maybe admin can make it a sticky. This one is just to see if it will be worthwhile.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:07:19 pm »
I've done a fair amount of them,  but am always interested in hearing other's approach,  especially when it comes from someone like yourself with plenty of experience to back it up.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 10:09:43 pm »
I tried one for two weeks.  Finally got permission to cut the house open.  There were five times as many bees inside as out in my box--after 2 weeks.  And before you ask, "no, there were no other entrances into he house."  I would like to think it works but the time it takes and the stress on bees outside is pretty high, I would think.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 11:04:08 pm »
I'm always interested in hearing about how other people do stuff, even if I think that trap outs are a big old pain in the kiester and not worth the time and effort unless you are getting paid big bucks to do them!  :-D
Rick

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 11:39:56 pm »
I tried one for two weeks.  Finally got permission to cut the house open.  There were five times as many bees inside as out in my box--after 2 weeks.  And before you ask, "no, there were no other entrances into he house."  I would like to think it works but the time it takes and the stress on bees outside is pretty high, I would think.

The ones of read about(I've never actually done one) indicated it would take several weeks maybe even a couple months for some types.  I read of one which used a queenright nuc near the one way entrance.  Similar to swapping locations, the returning foragers give up and enter the nuc(or hive depending on how large the trapped hive is), that sounds pretty low stress.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 11:44:53 pm »
Iddee,

Thank you for starting this thread.  Trap outs sound like something I should know how to do but I've yet to meet someone who has actually done one.  Look forward to learning how this should be done.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 03:58:15 pm »
I too am interested. Cutouts are brutal, this sounds physically easier, so teach on dude....
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 06:05:30 pm »
I've had several situations where a TrapOut would have been nice to do, but the people who called are always in a hurry to get rid of the bees and would not wait for the time needed to do a TrapOut. The only option in those cases were for me to refer them to others who do CutOuts, as I don't do CutOuts myself. But I don't dispare, someone someday will let me try a TrapOut I'm sure.  :-D

I've read some of your posts concerning trapouts in other forums and look forward to reading them here as well. You are one of those very helpful people for us needing information and help with our beekeeping adventures.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 12:26:24 pm »
Iddee, I would certainly encourage you to show how to do these maneuvers, there would be many people that could benefit from this, go, go, go!!!  Have a great and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline okiequeenbee

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 01:22:06 pm »
I have done trap-outs in the past and don't really like to do them.  But I am always willing to learn new, better ways of doing things.  And to have someone as knowledgeable as you willing to teach, that would be great.  So please, Iddee, let the learning begin.
Today, I see Life as my eyes have never seen it before - and, OH, how they shine.

anything