Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Excluders-are they really necessary?  (Read 12447 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Queen Excluders-are they really necessary?
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2005, 11:10:05 pm »
Ok I got a question for the small cell guys , can a small cell queen go through a regular excluder or do you have to fing something smaller?
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2005, 09:23:17 am »
>Ok I got a question for the small cell guys , can a small cell queen go through a regular excluder or do you have to fing something smaller?

Most of the small cell people I know don't use an excluder.  I don't.  I HAVE used one while regressing, but not on a hive in normal situations.

A normal queen will go through an excluder.  If you smoke them heavily  enough and you'll often see the queen above the excluder.  What she does when she REALLY wants to and what she does when it's just not convenient are two different things.

I'm sure a small cell queen CAN get through an excluder.  But I know of some small cell beekeepers using them with no problems.

Try this on YOUR hive sometimes.  If you have a flat (not bound) excluder, turn it 90 degrees so the ends stick out the sides of the hive and the ends of the hive are open.  I'll bet the queen doesn't cross it and I'll bet the bees will be happier for it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2005, 09:34:33 am »
Quote from: Michael Bush
>
Try this on YOUR hive sometimes.  If you have a flat (not bound) excluder, turn it 90 degrees so the ends stick out the sides of the hive and the ends of the hive are open.  I'll bet the queen doesn't cross it and I'll bet the bees will be happier for it.

thats interesting , that all the excluders I have are the metal flat one's, Ill have to try that one thanks MB.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2005, 09:57:30 am »
I placed a queen excruder on one of my colonies last year as I wanted some cut comb honey new foundation only. The bees ignored the super, started filling up the upper parts of the frames in the deep just below it. I removed the excruder when they had about two  inches of honey in those frames. The queen wouldn't cross that honey field and the workers drew out the foundation but ran out of time to make any comb honey. That excruder cost the girls two weeks of work up in the super.

:D Al

Offline latebee

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2005, 12:10:59 am »
Thank you one and all,
           After reading all the opinions,I think using a queen excluder for any reason other than experimentation(or other specific purpose) would be folly. Really appreciate all the input. :)
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

anything