Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The benefits of wood-rotting fungi  (Read 9596 times)

Offline Al Stein

• New Bee
The benefits of wood-rotting fungi
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:39:11 am »
I posted this in the Organic section, but I think this may be more appropriate here.

As a mycologist, I wanted to make sure that the latest fungal research gets in front of the bee keeping community.
Bees have been found to seek out several species of wood-rotting fungi. They have been seen sipping from the sugar-rich fungal roots.
A preliminary study showed that access to these fungi substantially reduced bees viral load.
One of the theories of CCD, Colony Collapse Disorder, is that farming use of anti-fungals has reduced the availability of these beneficial fungi.
This is still being studied, it's not peer reviewed, and it's not conclusive, but I feel it's important enough for the bee community to know about it.

These are known species of fungi that bees seek out:

Ararikon,                 laricifomes officinalis
Tinder Polypore,       fomes fomentarius
Red Belted Polypore, fomitopsis pinicola
Garden Giant,          stropharia rugosoannulata
Turkey Tail,             trametes versicolor
Chaga,                   inonotus obliquus
Red Reishi,              gandoderma lucidum
Red Reishi,              gandoderma resinaceum

They grow on willow, birch, and fir, although the Garden Giant will grow with corn.

These fungi are assumed to help the bees through their anti-viral properties and thus contribute to their general well being.
I haven't found any bee supply companies offering these fungi.
I have found a couple of fungi supply companies that sell Mushroom Growing Kits for many of these species, but not all of them.
The growing kits are just rotting wood, easy enough, and bees will find them on their own when they want them.

A separate issue is the Varroa mite.
Mycologist Paul Stamets is working on a bio-control fungus, metarhizium anisopliae.
I don't think his product is available commercially yet, but I don't know.
(I have no connection with him)

My goal is to help stop CCD, and if fungi can help with that, wonderful!
I hope this helps.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: The benefits of wood-rotting fungi
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:15:17 am »
That is very interesting.  The land I live on is loaded with rotten wood very near the hives.  We have willows but primarily the trees are box elder.  This year for some reason our house is infested with thousands of box elder bugs when we get warm days.  I lost another hive this year so I am back down to one but I wonder if the rotten wood has anything to do with making it 6 years without treatments?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:31:01 pm »
Pretty interesting Al.
Do you have pictures of the different fungi for us to learn how to recognize them. Please send the pictures to one of the moderators to add to this thread. You will not be able to add them due to being new.
The only trees that I have in my area are the Birch and Willow.
Funny thing is that we just planted a bunch of Willow trees in pots to be able to plant them on our farm and the previous owners planted several River Birch trees in the front of our property.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Al Stein

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 01:55:12 pm »
I don't recommend people I.D. these fungi on their own. Many of these are edible and DIY fungi identification usually ends in the E.R.
I found a couple of mushroom companies that sell growing kits for most of these.
But, I didn't want to mention names because I don't want people to think I'm marketing.
This is all about the bees for me.

Offline Al Stein

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 03:12:28 pm »
Something came up on another site about this, so let me add this.

There is no risk here.
These mushrooms already are growing in the environment, bees already seek them out, and mushroom growers see bees on their crops but don't know why.

This is just a list of the mushrooms that bees like, plus some evidence that they are beneficial to bee health.

Anyone can buy some mushroom growing kits, and if bees like them they'll see for themselves.

They are just bringing a piece of old growth forest into their back yard.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 06:18:43 pm »
>metarhizium anisopliae

There was a lot of hype on this about ten years or more ago.  Don't hear much now.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Al Stein

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:23:52 pm »
Yeah, Paul Stamets was trying to make metarhizium anisopliae into a treatment for the Varroa mite.
I'm guessing he wasn't able to get a patent, don't know.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:00:01 pm »
I don't recommend people I.D. these fungi on their own. Many of these are edible and DIY fungi identification usually ends in the E.R.
I found a couple of mushroom companies that sell growing kits for most of these.
But, I didn't want to mention names because I don't want people to think I'm marketing.
This is all about the bees for me.
Al,
I don't want to eat them (I don't eat any mushrooms). I would just like to bee able to move some of them into my area to help my bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 09:17:06 am »
If the fungus grows on rotten wood then most likely you have it in your yard if you have rotten wood.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 01:00:05 pm »
I will check the roots of my River Birch trees.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Al Stein

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 06:35:48 pm »
Hey sawdstmakr, I've been searching around and found that Firelight Heritage Farm sells most of these mushrooms.
I have their pictures, but you said to send them to a moderator.
I'm not familiar with bulletin boards.
How do I tell who a moderator is?
And how do I send pictures to them?

Sorry, I searched for this info in the help section first but couldn't find it.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 08:56:02 pm »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 06:00:00 am »
Try Beemaster, Buzzbee or Robo
Ben Franklin