Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just Starting Out in Giles County, VA  (Read 1651 times)

Offline TnJBees

• New Bee
Just Starting Out in Giles County, VA
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:48:31 pm »
Hi Everyone -

My husband and I have contemplated bee keeping for a few years now.  We have a small farm that's mainly been used for raising sheep, chickens, occasionally a cow or two, and this year we raised 3 hogs!  We've always put out a vegetable garden in the Spring and over the past few years we've noticed a significant decrease in honey bees.  There was a time that our corn stalks would be humming with all the bee activity, but those days are long past.  As a result of our absent bees, we've notice our garden production greatly reduced as well.  We're strong advocates for organic gardening and the next step for us is to help with the honey bee population in our area as well.

We are both signed up for our first beekeeping class on Feb 7 with our local Beekeeper's Association and are looking forward to learning as much as we can so that our endeavors will be successful!

Teanessa n Joe (TnJBees)  :wink:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Just Starting Out in Giles County, VA
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:28:31 am »
Welcome. You're on a good active forum, lots of experienced folks here who are willing to share. Looking at the corn stalks was the same way I came to the conclusion we didn't have any feral bees around here. Years ago they were wrapped up, then there was none. Now that I have bees they're wrapped up again.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:39:49 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster. Lots of good info and a lot of great videos. Check out the old posts in honey bee removal.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:49:52 am »
>We're strong advocates for organic gardening...

Then you probably won't enjoy all the preaching about treatments at your bee class.  You may want to supplement your research with some "organic" beekeeping practices:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoursimplesteps.htm
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 12:22:28 pm »
Welcome and enjoy the addiction. G
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"