Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AFB -- can treatment prevent it?  (Read 6912 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: AFB -- can treatment prevent it?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 10:42:28 pm »
If you punch out a diameter from pipe or cut a square and freeze it then put it back in frame you will obtain similar test results many queen rearers have been doing this for years. i guess lab equipment is handy in the lab but not in the field  RDY-B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 12:12:46 pm »
Ted, I like the way that you are thinking.  I think that there is some truth that holds true from the "olden day" practice of burning the hives right up to a cinder.  These actions may cost some money in losses, but I truly believe that if AFB was found in one of my colonies, I would burn down the house.  I read all over about how the bees should be dumped into new fresh comb, that comb filled with the honey from their gut and then removed, then the bees treated with terramycin, and all the other little things that have to be done.  Seems like an awful lot of work, and then.....is AFB really gone?  Doubt it?  Those spores can last for a millenia and still be around.  Anyways, my two cents, AFB, burn down the house.  Have a wonderful day, best of this beautiful life.  Cindi  :mrgreen:
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 03:37:47 pm »
Cindi

I so much enjoy your posts, and you really make me laugh.

Annette

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 06:14:58 pm »
>Now the question is, how do the average beekeepers obtain and safely transport the liquid nitrogen.

I have a dewar.  I think it has to be a dewar made for those temperatures. I don't think a stainless thermos will work.  But you can ask the welding supply shop, my guess is they won't fill it if they think it's dangerous.

Two other methods are often used, one already mentioned, cutting out and freezing and then returning.  The other is to pinprick the caps and see how long it takes to uncap and remove them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007, 11:23:22 am »
Annette, thank you for the kind words.  If I can bring a smile (or even better a little laugh or two) to someone's face, then my day has had a wonderful purpose, yeah!!!  Let's keep on smilin', life is wonderful and beautiful.  So, have a great day, and a beautiful life to boot.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Erik T

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 11:59:40 am »
Maybe you could use electronic freeze spray.  Chills to -60 to -70.  Radio Shack carries it.  Definately cheaper than the wart remover.

If your going to do this, make sure the bees are out of harms way.  It's a refridgerant, so let it evaporate after spraying.

Freeze spay also works great for getting gum out of carpetting.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2007, 10:58:30 pm »
-60 to -70°F is not cold enough.  Marla Spivak says she's tried dry ice it it is not cold enough and it is -109° F.  Liquid nitrogen is between -346°F and -320°F.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Erik T

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 12:19:12 am »
-109 isn't cold enough?  Absolutely amazing.  Such tough little critters.

Strange that you can kill brood a refrigerator.  I guess it's due to the length of exposure.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2007, 01:41:55 pm »
Marla says she's tried to kill puape with dry ice and they always seem to survive. -109 F (or even 0 F) IS cold enough if you keep them that temperature for 24 hours or so...
-------------------