Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaing Abandond Hive  (Read 1358 times)

Offline StarrGin

• New Bee
Cleaing Abandond Hive
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:34:28 pm »
Bees abandond my hive last summer.  Wax moths moved in.  I've scraped down most of the hive and kept the mice evicted over the winter.  I hope to put in a package this spring.

Other than some additional scraping and brushing.  Is there anything I should do to clean the hive before package install?

I have thought about brushing it down with a little peppermint soap, giving it a quick dunk to rinse and toweling dry.

Suggestions appreciated.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Cleaing Abandond Hive
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:47:35 pm »
What did the wax moths leave of your frames?  If they are plastic, scrape the damaged comb off and scrape the cocoons off the woodware and shake a package in or install a nuc.  Press combs tightly together and let the bees do the rest. 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:48:48 pm »
Pf you're using plastic foundation you might have to give it a coat of wax.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 06:43:52 pm »
I do not think the bees would appreciate the peppermint soap smell. Just scrape and brush and install your package. The bees will clean it up even better to suit their needs as they build it into their hive.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:54:59 pm »
like scott says if you have plastic foundation re wax
to bee or not to bee

Offline StarrGin

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:59:15 am »
Thanks for the replies.  Some where I thought I had read about spraying around a bait hive with a dilution of peppermint oil as an attraction.
I'll stick with the the brushing an waxing.