Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New hives and snow in the forecast!  (Read 1021 times)

Offline meashton

• New Bee
New hives and snow in the forecast!
« on: April 29, 2013, 01:06:21 pm »
Hived my two packages last Thursday, and they seem to be doing well. Feeding sugar water that they are going through at a good clip (about a pint/day/hive). Saw some full pollen sacks arriving at the hives yesterday.

But, there's a snowstorm predicted for Wednesday, with freezing temps. Do I need to do anything to protect the hives?

Thanks!

-Margaret in Colorado

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New hives and snow in the forecast!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 01:14:56 pm »
they should be ok.  at this time of the year, bad weather doesn't last to long and if they have food, they'll just huddle up for the cold temps and get back at it when it warms.

if you expect a lot of wind you might consider doing something to block that.  if you are using screened bottom boards, you might want to close those up.  other than that, they should be ok.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline meashton

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 01:19:49 pm »
Cool, thanks! I started them on solid bottom boards, figuring I can put the screens on when it gets hot this summer. So they should be fine - and it's only supposed to be one day of snow, so not too long for them to endure. Now to get on the problem of keeping the flowers near the hive from freezing! :)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:29:29 pm »
Keep the entrance reducer on if you have one. And keep it at the smallest opening.