Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Reusing the package syrup can  (Read 1193 times)

Offline duryeafarms

• House Bee
Reusing the package syrup can
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:54 pm »
Ok, I'm beginning to rethink my plan of feeding only dry sugar to my new package. If I change a feeder will be needed, and I wondered if there's any reason not to use the syrup can that came with my package. Maybe glass is more hygienic? This will go in a TBH and just sit in the bottom on some half inch shims.
Thanks

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Reusing the package syrup can
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:47:26 pm »
How are you going to refill a can? I'm pretty sure that's why containers with removable lids are used. Easy to clean and refill. It doesn't have to be glass. I suppose a coolwhip or sour cream container could be used if they're washed out. Anything with a sealable, leakproof lid that's never had chelmicals in it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:08:27 am by Steel Tiger »

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:49:07 pm »
I dont think dry sugar would work and the can that comes with should be empty. I dont think you can fill them. Besides thats not even a pint size and a good hive would use a quart overnight.

Offline duryeafarms

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:33:37 pm »
The can that came with my package has a grommet with cloth over the end so it can be opened and cleaned/refilled. You are correct about the volume, it only holds 16 oz.  When the package arrived, there was at least 2/3 of the syrup remaining in the can. I'm guessing the packages were pretty "new".

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 01:07:28 pm »
I use a zip lock bag (about 1/2 full) and put a 2" cut in it for the bees. The bag will relax when the air escapes so the bees can eat. To feed again use your finger to put in the hole you made and replase with a new bag. I do this for 3 weeks then switch to a top feeder. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline duryeafarms

• House Bee
Re: Re: Reusing the package syrup can
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:34:44 pm »
Thanks for the input. I've decided to try the the baggie method. If that doesn't work I'll experiment with something sitting on top of the bars. My roof is pitched pretty good so there's plenty of room under it.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:55:41 pm »
Pay very close attention on not filling the bag over 1/2 full. Otherwise it will flood out.

anything