Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: newbie with bees...help!  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Whippersnapper

• New Bee
newbie with bees...help!
« on: March 25, 2012, 05:57:35 pm »
I will be ordering bees.

Below is link that gives info about my area w/gardening:

Main reason for bees, is for pollination of vegetables that require insect pollination to set fruit (summer and winter squash, and melons).

Main variety being used is mason bees,  because that's what's available.  I will NOT be using a traditional set up for bees, as I don't have the space to do so. I'd be using a nester, which is a house for bees.  Could use guidelines with when to order as I've never done this before.

Local bees are providing inadequate pollination.  Since I'll be devoting so much time, energy, efforts and space w/growing these, I consider the bees an investment.

I've found bees online, but when should I order them?  They are dormant in the spring, and then become active when the weather warms up?
Also I was told where you put the bees, depends on what gender they will be, and what they'll do? I don't want to order too early, because the squash/melons won't be grown until end of May, and it won't be setting fruit/blossoms till about August-September.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: newbie with bees...help!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:54:58 pm »
Please add your location to your profile so we have an idea where you are.  Are you planning on raising honey bees in addition to Mason bees?  Is that what you want to order?

Here is a link that might help.   http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=35827.0
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: newbie with bees...help!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:04:37 pm »
There are a few here that work with mason bees, but that majority of the folks here work with honey bees.   And you can keep honey bees about anywhere.   Several keep hives up on roofs with limited space. 

anything