Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: harvesting honey Question  (Read 2020 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
harvesting honey Question
« on: August 05, 2007, 11:34:20 am »
I have two hives with one super on each that has all 10 frames in each super about 80 to 85% of capped honey. Can I harvest the frames even though they are not fully capped?
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
Re: harvesting honey Question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 01:29:07 pm »
 This is my first year of beekeeping so obviously lacking the knowledge of many on here but I don't see any reason why you can't.

Which way are you going to remove? Crushing or by extractor?

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 03:29:35 pm »
You could extract but I think you would be better off waiting an extra week or two and let them cap off a bit more.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Potlicker1

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:17:02 pm »
I agree. If you can spare the time let them cap the rest.

Offline LocustHoney

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »
I took a couple of frames that were like that just because I couldn't wait. It would be best if you could wait but if you don't then just eat that honey first. I was told that if you take honey that is not ready it will have a "smell" to it after time. I haven't experienced that yet but time will tell. Of course I went ahead and ate that first!! :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 12:05:45 pm »
We were taught in our beekeeping 1 and 2 that once the frames are 3/4 capped, it is 100% OK to remove and extract.  It saves the bees all that wax and time of capping the remaining 1/4, got for it!!!!  Have a wonderful day, great life, happy extracting. Cind
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service