Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Storing supers in room with a light on?  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Storing supers in room with a light on?
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:05:14 pm »
A friend of mine told me that he stores his drawn supers in a room with a light on all the time. No freezing them or treating them with anything just stacked them in a way that light can get to all of the frames and he leaves a light on all the time. Has anyone heard of this? I know wax moths  will die if you expose them to sun light for some time so I guess it is a plausible theory. Will it work or has my friend just been lucky over the years?

Thanks
Greg
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Storing supers in room with a light on?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 08:47:42 am »
If they are honey supers and never had brood raised in them,  there is a lot less chance of having a wax moth problem.  Light will also help, but the problem is space.  If he is just stacking them in a room and leaving the light on,  I assume the light is keeping the moths away,  not preventing any eggs from hatching and growing.   All the methods I have heard require getting the light onto the comb.  There was an article a few years back in bee culture of a rack that a guy built to hang his supers all at a 45 degree angle so the light could get to all the combs.  Once again, can't stack the supers for this and it takes a lot of space.

Bt seems to be working great for me,  might be cheaper than running a light bulb 24/7 in the long run too.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=8351.0
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison