Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A big warm "How Do" from SE Oklahoma  (Read 4982 times)

Offline ddarity

• New Bee
A big warm "How Do" from SE Oklahoma
« on: April 06, 2006, 04:47:52 pm »
Hello to the group!

An absolute beginner here.  I would like to make it to intermediate beekeeper status, so I am looking for reviews or recomendations for a good suit.  Any direction would be greatly appreciated.
-Dave 8)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 10:31:06 pm »
Hi Dave, and welcome!

My suit is from Mann Lake, with the attached veil and helmet, and the leather gloves with canvas gauntlets.  It came with the "starter kit" I bought three years ago:

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/catalog/page62.html

It was a good suit for starting, and it works very well, but I'd get something different now, like a different veil with better all-around visibility.

Good luck, and enjoy the bees!

-- Kris

Offline ddarity

• New Bee
Bee suit.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 01:16:42 pm »
Thanks Kris,  I am kind of leaning towards one with the zip on veil.  I saw one from beecare and one from omega.  What do you like and dislike about the one you have now.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 03:13:47 pm »
For most work if it's not too hot, I like a jacket with a zip on english style veil.  It's MUCH easier and qucker to put on than a full suit.  Lighter and cooler too.

For hot work I like the Golden Bee Products suit.  It's ventilated so it's nice and cool but it's quite expensive.

For hot work where it's not going to be hot bees, I like a bug baffler jacket with a built in veil and the pants with shorts on under it.  Nice and breezy and cheap and light.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

manowar422

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 11:57:10 pm »
A big "HEY" across the Red River to Dave! Welcome to the forums.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Re: Bee suit.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 10:00:02 am »
Quote from: ddarity
What do you like and dislike about the one you have now.

The way the hat slips around and how the veil attaches over the hat.  I could probably adjust the hatband better, and the elastic may have stretched.  I also have a separate hatless veil with a drawstring that I use for less intrusive forays into the hive.  For that I had to fashion a foam contraption to keep it from sliding around (I use shipping packing from a laptop that fits over my head).

-- Kris

Offline ddarity

• New Bee
Many Thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 06:13:23 pm »
Many Thanks to the group.  Seems like a fine group of folks, and lots of collective wisdom..  I ordered a full suit from dadants. $60 , I got one for my son also.. he seems to bee devleoping an interest.  

Thanks for your input Kris... I always wondered what to do with that computer packing material.... :lol:

Man-o-War...  let me know if you get bored South of the Red, I am inviting a few folks over to watch me unload and put out my bees.  Should be plenty entertaining as I have no experience with bees and am know wide and far as a big ole wussy.

Thanks All,
Dave

manowar422

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 08:49:19 pm »
Dave,
Thanks for the invite, but with the price of gas being what it is :x
I'll just wait for you to report here on the forum :wink:

Offline Denise

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 07:15:49 pm »
Quote from: Kris^
Hi Dave, and welcome!

My suit is from Mann Lake, with the attached veil and helmet, and the leather gloves with canvas gauntlets.  It came with the "starter kit" I bought three years ago:

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/catalog/page62.html

It was a good suit for starting, and it works very well, but I'd get something different now, like a different veil with better all-around visibility.

Good luck, and enjoy the bees!

-- Kris

We got the same setup from Mann Lake!  :D  They really had a good deal on that starter kit. Everything you need for a reasonable price. I do want to get another veil that doesn't zip on so I don't have to be in the entire suit all the time.
"I saw me life pass before me eyes. It was really boring." - Babs, Chicken Run

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 09:34:30 pm »
DD:

I don't have a lot to offer than what has been said, except to say buying quality equipment is nearly always worth it - I have to say that I think suits may be ONE OF THE FEW PLACES you can get away with spending a little less if on a tight budget - but if you have the money for a good suit BREATHABLE MATERIAL is ALWAYS important.

I use Tyvek toss-aways from work if NOT too sweat-ed up. They rinse off well on the clothes line and if you get the footless kind you end up being able to bend better without tearing them out.

I hope the time comes when you feel comfortable with less and less protective wear - it really comes natural with mastering the smoker WHICH IS WHERE I WOULD SPEND GOOD MONEY since it is the most useful tool to keeping bees mellow.

I mainly wanted to welcome you aboard, I always try to catch new members and let them know that the Admin guy is a real person, unlike some of the thousands of forums (on any and all imaginable topics) who seem to have a sign of humans at the Watch-dog level.

We have very dedicated moderators here and awesome members, and lately the number of posts and replies have grown greatly showing that member activity is thriving. We are blessed to have such fine members and you will be that intermediate beekeeper in no time.

If I had a one sentence wisdom message to give anyone new. Master a pattern of manipulating the hive parts and learn to use the smoker in a way that calms the bees NOT burns them. Practice moving hive boxes around, always have a place to put one BEFORE it is in your hands - bees are much more cooperative if you seem to know YOUR job as well as they know THEIR jobs!!!

Welcome again!!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline denart

• New Bee
greetings
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 08:24:25 pm »
where in southern oklahoma......former okie here from the ardmore area.
I am also a newbe at beek, i presently live in ne texas   texarkana

i have a really nice beesuit  viel attached  but let my son wear it when he helps......then i wear a $10.00 set of tyvek coverall with a regular viel....but a trick i have learned....figured it out all by my self  ( patting self on back )   when i work my bees  i use the sweat type wrist bands around my wrists and ankles to keep stray bees out  it works very well
if you are near give me a shout some day
dennis
Make a plan...BUT....Don't plan the outcome
Life is life and it ain't half bad if you dont fight it

Offline TaoAndThen

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:56:34 am »
Welcome Dave,

I chose the inexpensive Mann Lake suit without a veil. It has elastic at the ankles, wrists, and thumbs, plus an extra zipper that my husband informed me was a male feature. This allowed me to be more selective with the veil. The helmet & veil combo keeps the netting farther from my face. Most of the time I visit the hive wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and the helmet & veil.

Amy
It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end." -Ursula K. LeGuin