Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Howdy from Asheville, NC  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Blammer

• New Bee
Howdy from Asheville, NC
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:34:42 am »
Well I am a rookie and just "inherited" a bee hive. Don't even know what to call it!

Trying to find out all I can and how to just maintain it/them for the moment.

Looking to find out what parts of the hive there are, what they are called and what they do and what order you need to put them in.

I'll be lurking to start and surely asking some newbie questions!

I am an avid hunter and shooter so there is where my expertise lies...

Catch ya around!

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
Howdy from Asheville, NC
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 08:48:02 am »
Welcome.  I first bought Beekeeping for Dummies Book and found it very informative.  A book you may want to check out.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Blammer

• New Bee
Howdy from Asheville, NC
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:23:06 pm »
thanks! I'll probably be going to the book store today.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Howdy from Asheville, NC
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 03:45:14 pm »
The Beemaster's forum is a regulat hive of information and opinions.  Use it wisely.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Howdy from Asheville, NC
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 10:48:02 pm »
You have a very active club there in Asheville. They flew me out to do a class on natural cell size and alternative equipment.  They have beginners clases regularly.

http://www.wncbees.org/
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Blammer

• New Bee
Howdy from Asheville, NC
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 12:32:36 am »
Thanks!

I emailed them for some more info.

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Howdy from Asheville, NC
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 12:45:26 am »
Welcome from a fellow hunter and gun enthusiast..
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Howdy from Asheville, NC
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 01:59:37 pm »
I HUMBLY remind those who know and inform those who don't know, BLAMMER:

THAT the cover image of Beekeeping for Dummies is MY PHOTO :) likely helped you choose the book - here is a little history that many new members DON'T know. I took that photo in June of 2001 specifically for the Dummies Book - I was lead photographer in the colaborated project led by Author Howland Blackiston.

There are always lots of new people here and occasionally I like to mention that Howland Blaskiston hired me for many images (about 16 internal and the cover photo) which relative speaking is the SINGLE MOST SELLING POINT of the book (this from the Author himself) and the link below takes you to a shot FEW PEOPLE EVER SEE, the original layout of the book.

www.beemaster.com/bkd.html

In this photo (compare it to your copy) has the bee facing the wrong way and some of the text content has not been placed yet.

If you read my monthly logbook entries http://www.beemaster.com/honeybee/beelog.html you can follow the daily adventures of my humble life as beekeeper, mentor to a young man, and colaborater for the dummies book. By July of 2001 I was stricken with (what is now called) neurological Lymes which has (THANK GOD) only left me with short term imparement, not the terrible crippling diseases that many poor souls suffer. I was blessed to 1) live, 2) only have memory problems and 3) not be incapacitiated as so many people are ONCE lymes reaches the spinal column and then into the brain. It was a scary time that I will never forget.

So welcome aboard, hope you learned a little about your host - I hope the forums are able to answer any questions you have and frankly, I think you have found the best resource on the net for prompt and learned assistance - this membership is a collection of centuries of knowledge, who could as for anything more :) thanks for joining up and best wishes in beekeeping.

Just a little behind the scenes of Beemaster's International Forums and Website - thought you'd get a kick at the back-stage look of what makes the site tick.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Howdy from Asheville, NC
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 05:45:17 pm »
Quote from: Blammer
Well I am a rookie and just "inherited" a bee hive. Don't even know what to call it!

Well I guess you could call you hive "Bob" if you wanted too.

Not very orginal but it will work. ;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible