Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive location  (Read 2704 times)

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Hive location
« on: May 03, 2005, 10:51:09 pm »
I live on a 1 acre lot that backs up to about 50 aches of woods/ wet lands. I want to locate my hive (my first) about 20 yards into the woods to avoid any problems with the kids getting stung. All the pictures of hives that I see seem to be out in the open. Is putting a hive in the woods okay?
Thanks

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Hive location
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 11:22:00 pm »
They need some sun.  To much shade, isn't good.  Partial shade in the heat of the day is beneficial.  I associate chalkbrood, wintering problems with shade.   Give em at least some morning sun to get them up and working.

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
Hive location
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 11:25:58 pm »
I've seen hives in wooded areas.  Mine are in a field that's being overtaken with white pines and the rest of my property is surrounded by forest.  I think you don't want the woods to be super dense - they need some sun.

I think one thing you want to be sure of also is that you have plenty of room to work the hive.  Keep in mind you'll be carrying boxes that get very heavy with honey later in the year, you need good access for yourself to get in and out.  Another issue for my hives is bear.  I don't know what part of the country you're in, but if you need an electric fence that's something to consider too.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Hive location
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 07:05:55 am »
My hives are under a maple tree standing by itself.  Last year I cut a big branch so morning sun would reach the hive.  The remaining branches have spread, though, and now my 4 hives this year are shaded too long in the morning.  The result is that the bees don't get out until later in the morning.  So I'll have to cut more branches this year.  Although in the winter there are no leaves to shade the tree, I'm thinking this has turned out to be not an ideal location.  The next hives I set up will be somewhere more out in the open.  I considered moving my existing hives, but don't want to disturb the bees right now.  I may move them this fall or winter.  

-- Kris

Offline LEAD PIPE

• House Bee
Hive location
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 08:56:12 am »
I will try to clear a patch in the woods to get some morning sun.
Thanks

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Hive location
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 09:07:13 am »
They generaly procude better in the sun and have less problems with chaulkbrood in the sun.  They do ok in the shade.  I have some of each right now.

I think you'll be surprised how small a problem getting stung is.  If they are hot enough to sting someone in the yard, you need a new queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything