Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A Cool Swarm, Nice Cut-Out, & A Monstrosity On My Carport  (Read 3927 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
A Cool Swarm, Nice Cut-Out, & A Monstrosity On My Carport
« on: March 29, 2008, 12:05:23 am »
Another cool swarm and a cut-out, that was pretty cool also. The last pic is what was waiting for me when I got home, courtesy of Dadant. Now, I say this sarcastically, cause my orders are generally in cardboard boxes I carry inside. What the $@*# am I supposed to do with this? Guess I'm doing a bunch of back & forth, was a big order though.

Btw, I was able to help Keith, a forum member from Baton Rouge out with the swarm & the cut-out hive. Sorry you had to wait so long Keith. Hope the bees kick A$$ for ya, let me know how they are doing, ok.
http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/March282008

Ya'll have a good one.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: A Cool Swarm, Nice Cut-Out, & A Monstrosity On My Carport
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 07:22:32 am »
Yikes, JP, the freight on that must have been a killer!

Definitely a cool swarm, I'm so jealous of you guys down there with all of the swarms!  :)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:27:44 am »
when you do an inside cut out, what happens to all the strays when you are done?  also, when you are going to start your cut, how do you pick your place?  i assume you use a stud finder to help, but is the actual spot kind of a hail mary?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 11:40:28 am »
LOL, I am laughing because I got my Dadant order a couple days ago. Three boxes, 2 frames one a nuc, and I asked my DH for a nail gun.  HAHAHA  Bless his heart, we are going nail gun shopping tomorrow...I am sure YOU have a nail gun right JP, HOW many frames will you make or are those hives bodies?

Oh and I had to buy a new digital camera because he dropped it in New Orleans, said his hands were slippery after eating a beniet (?)...'Blamin my new camera purchase on Lousiana

Your pictures are awesome!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 12:03:53 pm »
Anne, the shipping was like $150.00.

Kathy, bees give off heat. If you can leave a hive body in the room with the lights off, they will find their way. Can't always do this though.

Dayvalley, I just bought a nail gun, like 3 weeks ago. All I can say is awesome, just awesome! This order had 40 deeps, 30 mediums, frames, top covers, bottom boards.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 02:58:04 pm »
holy cow JP!you fixin to start trucking all those bee around with that much equipment.bill

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 04:25:48 am »
Just think, if you'd doubled your order you would still have had only 1 shrink wrapped pallet delivered and spent a mere $50.00 more in shipping.  Ah, the joys of quantity purchases.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything