Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New partner  (Read 10606 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
New partner
« on: November 18, 2008, 08:25:22 pm »
Here is a photo of my new partner

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: New partner
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:09:05 pm »
AWESOME!!!!
He looks like a police dog!!
And what great colors!!
I'm guessing he's a German shepherd, right?
 With the black face he looks like he might have some belgium shepherd in him.
 I love my dogs!!!
 I've had lots of dogs before, but never a German shepherd.

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:04:39 pm »
Shawn, wow!!!  What a beautiful hunk of canine.  That pooch is beeeeautiful!!!!  Now you have said something that has sparked some interest in me.  You called him, now I wonder why I call it him, well, I guess it just looks male, your "partner".  Do you do something special with your dog?  It sounds to me like you may use him for guard dog purposes, police work, hunting, or something like that.  Will you tell us, elaborate please.

Maybe you just call him your partner because that is what he is.  That is what Titan, my Daughter's Pittbull is, he is my partner outside, never a moment away from my side.  You have one beautiful dog there, Shawn, thank you for sharing that picture.  have a great and wonderful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Melilem

• House Bee
    • New England Bee Photos
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:31:24 pm »
I love german shepherds, you can't convince me that they are not THE smartest dog. I have never met one that I didn't like. Awesome looking dog!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 12:28:43 pm »
Shawn he is BEAUTIFUL!  He has the most intelligent face, looking so intently at you. Is he a police dog?  If so..(here are the questions :roll:) how long does it take to train one?  Do you get to keep him after he is retired?  About how long is their working career?  Is he trained to detect a particular scent?  There was a retired police dog next door.  I was terrified of him as I was bitten as a child even thought he would just sit & watch me.  One day he came bounding over with his "Kong".  We were fast friends after that, every day going out to say hi & throw his toy. The lady that had him didn't do right by him (that's a whole long story..I get "bristly" when I think if it.. :-x) & I was about to call the Humane Society when he was gone..Didn't even get to say goodbye :'(  They are wonderful dogs!  Hope you guys have a long friendship!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 01:10:09 pm »
SHE, is a police dog, hates to be called a boy. :-* SHe is trained as a dual purpose dog, narcotic detection, tracking, handler protection, and criminal apprehension. She was imported into the US from the Chezk Republic. We went through a 5 week training cource but she already had some training beore I got her. Usually the dogs work up to 8 to 10 years depending on thier health. When it is time to stop working she will stay with, however it is u to the department depending on her temper at the time. She is a social dog and we have not had any problems with the kids, wife, or co-workers. We have been on the streets since June 1, 2008 and have already caught 6 different people that have ran from officers and found lots of drugs and drug packaging from homes and cars.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 07:29:10 pm »
 I thought it was a boy because I thought I saw a "handle" down there :)
 The cops out here at the base come to my place to let the dogs practice sniffing explosives and drugs. Maybe I can get a picture one of these days.

your friend,
john

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 10:54:01 pm »
  :oops: Shawn, please apologize to her for me & give her a cookie! (dog treat)  I bet she is poetry in motion when chasing down a bad guy!  They are just amazing with what they do!  J

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 08:59:54 am »
OK now let's see a pic of you and the dog at work. I like female dog's better easier to train. And they stay home if you know what I mean :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 11:10:50 am »
Shawn, the mystery has ended.  She is your partner at work, yeah!!!  I love the power that an officer has when their working dog is at their side.  These dogs are extremely intelligent and can do such wonders with their skills that are inborn, but honed to such a clear and fine degree.  She has come a long way to go to work, that is wonderful.  You have had her working since June and she has done an incredible amount of great work since that short tiime, imagine......what she will have accomplished during her beautiful life.  Thank you for sharing this beautiful dog with us.  I think that you are very fortunate to have such a wonderful partner to go to work with.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 07:34:36 pm »
Thought I better post another picture of her. She likes the attention, trust me.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 07:42:49 pm »
Well while Im at it here are some other dogs I have had. The first two are of another GS I had. She liked to dig a bit too much so she was sent with a family to a ranch in the mountains. Ive been told she has turned into a great guard dog and waits at the cattle guard for the husband to return after work.

Next is a trio of dogs. I had two labs, one ran away as I had posted awhile ago and the other was a GS pointer. She was a very friendly dog to the family but not to outsiders.

and now for the lab that Ive had for a long time. She likes to stay inside on her pillow and rest. She has to be the best dog I have ever had. You can see a bennie baby dog in front of her. SHe carried it around for months acting as if it was her puppy. I would catch her licking the under side of it and then carrying it off to lay down.  :'(

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 10:45:26 pm »
 This is "Toni", one of my collies. She's the sweetest of all my dogs. She's also the lowest on the totem pole. When we walk, she usually walks right next to me. I think she does this as a result of when I used to have to walk through the woods in the dark getting back and forth to the house and shop. I would say, as I touched her back, "Ok Toni, take me home now." And she would lead me through the dark :)

your friend,
john
<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From on my walk, Nov. 2008</td></tr></table>

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 01:34:16 pm »
We had a collie growing up. DOnt remember too much about him. My grandparents, and two different family members also had collies all at the same time. Nice picture.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 03:41:03 pm »
Yeh, Shawn...Dogs breeds go in spurts...Rin Tin Tin was replaced by Lassie..Lassie was replaced by Benji...Benji was replaced by 101 Dalmations, literally.....And then the Jack Russel( Forgot the name)..Then, the Rottweiller ( cuz of Damien)..and now, the Pit bull( I suppose a flashback from "Little Rascals", maybe?)
 Whattaya think is gonna be next?..I'm thinkin' the Collie and German Shepherd are gonna make a comeback.
 I learned years ago, that a collie could be trained to do most things a Shepherd could do but the Collie failed the final tests because they couldnt train them to "Attack" people.
 I have a "Rotty" that is a great dog too!
 But, unfortunately, as A guard dog, I just dont know.....I think that when someone comes to steal something at my place, they might just steal "Tank", as he loves everybody and thinks everybody who comes here is coming to see him!. However, Tank has gone off twice at people that I remember, and I dont have a clue why...One of the people I didnt really care about much anyways, but the other guys tripped over him at work...( yep....At 5 weeks old I took Tank to work with me for 5 weeks straight and then a few days a week for quite awhile, just to be sure he got socialized to all kinds of people)I guess Tank got freaked out and made that "Scary Growl" and short lunge which looks like the "Real Business End" of a Rott...After that day, Tank had to stay at home..( Good thing the guy liked me, or I suppose I could've lost my job over that) (and having a dog at work, particularly a Rotty, wouldnt look so hot either!)./

your friend,
john

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 07:56:18 pm »
My lab is the same way with people. When the gas guy comes to read the meter Ive caught him out in the yard playing with the dog, throwing the ball for her. My new dog is not quite teh same. She is friendly until told be otherwise or if she thinks someone is a threat to me. In this area the Chihuahua is the most popular right now and the weenie dogs are starting to come in. There are lots of pits because we have dog fighters around and every house that we have raided has had a pit.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 09:25:53 pm »
John, she looks very sweet.  Never had a collie, too much coat to take care of, it's just too wet & icky here! That was a good idea to socialize, it's soooo important, specially for a large dog although there are probably more people bitten by "lap dogs" than big ones & most people are ok with that.. :? weird!  Much more damage & sensation in the news with the larger ones. Those dog fighting people need to be put in a cage w/a rabid badger, see how it feels!  J

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 10:37:51 pm »
 You know, its a funny thing...I dont know any dog fighters, although, I do know they have dog fights right across the river...Chicken fights too.
 I have no use for either of these types of people..I know one chicken fighter, who also used to race pigeons. I think if i found dog fights going on i could.........Oh, never mind..I gotta stay out of jail to be able to feed my dogs!
 This is a picture of my "Pet Cemetery" at nite...each lite is a dog....Theres a ferret, a canary, and a think, a fish or 2 in there also..I'll take a better picture some day :)
your friend,
john
<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From pet cemetery</td></tr></table>

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 11:46:48 am »
Shawn and John, beautiful dogs.

Now John, I want to hear a little more about your pet cemetary, tell us a story......

Do you keep those lights on all night long, all the time?  I need to know this, so come on share your life here, sounds very neat, to honour the long gone dogs, and I'll be dog gone, hee, hee!!!  Have a wonderful and awesomely great life and day, Cindi

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 06:27:48 pm »
Ah I LOVE dogs...Just saw the movie "Year of the Dog" on Showtime...oh my..hhhhmmm

anything