Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The girls are filling up the gaps  (Read 5607 times)

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
The girls are filling up the gaps
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:11 pm »
Hi all,
         was checking out my hives yesterday and came across several where they had made extra cells between the top frames
of the bottom box and the bottom frames of the top box. They had these filled with larvae and made it difficult to get the frames out,
once out it has destroyed those cells and messed it up a bit.
Anyone else ever had this happen to them? and is there anyway to discourage them from doing this ? re Neil

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: The girls are filling up the gaps
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 06:33:47 pm »
You'll find that the "bridge comb" between the two boxes is normally drone comb. If you go foundationless or pop in a couple of frames of drone comb they won't build the bridge comb near as much.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 09:08:30 pm »
I have been through this myself recently and found it was due to the supers being to deep and braking the bee space rule. Have you check the depth of your supers?
Shane

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 03:31:25 am »
You'll find that the "bridge comb" between the two boxes is normally drone comb. If you go foundationless or pop in a couple of frames of drone comb they won't build the bridge comb near as much.

Scott

youre right on the money Scott, it looks like drone grubs, And you might have something there with the beespace Shane, will check that one out in the next few days

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:56:41 am »
You mean we've all got to cut our boxes down to 241mm?  :-\

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:11:26 am »
Measure the space between the top of the bottom frame and the bottom of the top frame. From memory I think some of the boxes we have available to us create 16mm of space.
Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:45:01 pm »
And what is the recommended space?

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 09:41:12 am »
I believe the rule is between 6.5 and 9.5mm(1/4 - 3/8)
Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 05:11:41 pm »
Thanks Shane, maybe I'll have to look at my boxes more carefully now. :(

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 07:27:48 pm »
I'm having to cut all my boxes down to the right size now as I was having a hard time with all the drone and honey between the boxes. After cutting down the boxes I haven't had much of a problem.
Shane

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 04:38:27 am »
I'm having to cut all my boxes down to the right size now as I was having a hard time with all the drone and honey between the boxes. After cutting down the boxes I haven't had much of a problem.

If mine turn out to be too deep then ill ask my supplier if he can get something done about it

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 06:19:01 am »
Well, I've just cut down 4 new boxes that I'm assembling and 1 used box, and I'll rotate them through the hives and gradually check/amend all the others and we will see if it makes a difference. I've cut about 4mm off them all. 4mm, you wouldn't think it would make much of a difference but I look forward to the experiment. I'll report back if I notice anything.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 08:23:43 am »
I haven't actually measured my boxes for a while.  You must get drone comb between the boxes because you don't use an excluder.  There is a bit of space above the bottom frames as well as below the top frames.  I had the opposite problem, and on one inspection found a heap of bees squashed onto the excluder.  So I think that if you use an excluder you need that bit of extra space on the top box because you lose that amount above the bottom frames.  So of course I panicked and went and added a little strip to all my supers. It will depend on the size of the frames as well - they probably vary in height a bit.  Anyhow, that bit of extra room might have been a bit much because there is sometimes a little bit of honeycomb below the frames, but I have to live with that now.  I can't think of a way to evenly plane the boxes anyway, and the thought of transferring all those bees into spare supers makes me feel very tired!

I also have to live with our first 6 hives having 2 inches extra on the brood super, to fit the small hive beetle traps in.  There are a variety of traps now, but when I found my first hive beetle I had to get hold of the first ones I could find.  They do the job, but there is a lot of drone comb beneath those frames.  I guess my hives are well ventilated for the tropics.

Lone

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 10:13:54 am »
 I can't think of a way to evenly plane the boxes anyway, and the thought of transferring all those bees into spare supers makes me feel very tired!
Lone

Im with you i dont think ill bother for now im too busy anyways, need more boxes and lids.

anything