Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beevac plans  (Read 8555 times)

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
Beevac plans
« on: June 10, 2008, 11:32:29 am »
Hello Folks,
I could swear that I saw a picture on this forum of a beevac made using a plastic water jug and a little hand held dust buster type vac. I can't find it now.
I would love to find and figureout how to make one. Seems like it would be much more portable and easier to build and use than most of the plans I have seen.
Any ideas?
Alfred

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Beevac plans
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:56:03 pm »
Bee Culture - January 2004

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:18:58 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:57:51 pm »
does it have enough draw? I looked at your more comprehensive plans Robo and I just dont know when i'll have time to make one, but i need one to make my life easier.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:12:51 pm »
Hello Robo,
Great picture thanks.
Any more on how to make one? Have you used it? How well does it work?
I see on your web site that you have plans for a completely different one.
Do you like that one better?
Thanks for any info.
Alfred

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 09:26:24 pm »
The water bottle vac is not mine.  Is was shown in the January 2004 Bee Culture.  I believe it has a wire colander glues inside the bottle to prevent the bees from being sucked into the motor.   I have my doubts that it works too well.  Maybe for really small swarms, but definitely not for cut outs. As far as I can tell there is nothing that prevents the bees from coming back out after you turn off the motor.  Plugging the end ever time would be a big hassle (and sticky one too).  If I was in a bind and need something quick, I would go for something like this on a 5 gallon pail.

I have used my new design one on both swarms and cut outs and it works like a champ.  I have had positive feedback from some who have built it as well.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline xC0000005

• New Bee
    • Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Honeybees
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:36:46 pm »
This one is my own.  A jug, a strainer, some cord.  I often skip the hose now and just use the nose of the jug to suck them in.

"Tell me again why you want to put a box with thousands of angry, stinging insects in our backyard?" - my wife.

http://www.voiceofthehive.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:48:49 am »
Does a vacuum w/ lower HP help by not "crushing " bees? I have an older vac w/ a mere 1.4HP as opposed to newer models which have 5HP and higher.

"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 01:01:12 pm »
Lower HP does help,  but I would definately recommend having a bypass for adjusting the flow.  That way you don't have to worry about the vacuum HP or the length of hose as it can always be adjusted.  I'd hate to show up and find I need to use more hose but the vac won't handle it.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 09:01:51 pm »
Lower HP does help,  but I would definately recommend having a bypass for adjusting the flow.  That way you don't have to worry about the vacuum HP or the length of hose as it can always be adjusted.  I'd hate to show up and find I need to use more hose but the vac won't handle it.

Agree 100%, install a regulator and have the beef.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 05:53:07 am »
mine is ajusted by a vent, oh I am talking about the bee-vac built from the plans at beesource, it works better than I ever thought it would....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 09:46:28 am »
mine is ajusted by a vent, oh I am talking about the bee-vac built from the plans at beesource, it works better than I ever thought it would....

Yup.  A simple bypass vent is all that is needed.  Makes it easy to adjust the suction regardless of the vacuum HP or length of hose used.

anything