Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB in Honolulu How often do I check the hive?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
SHB in Honolulu How often do I check the hive?
« on: December 31, 2010, 01:06:15 pm »
I have read most everything I can about SHB. All of the info says to keep a strong hive. Since I live in Hawaii where it is nice and warm year round, how often should I be checking the hive? I want to keep on top of SHB. I don't have SHB yet, but it will be coming before too long. Should I check the hive every two weeks?  I plan on buying some oil traps to control SHB.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: SHB in Honolulu How often do I check the hive?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 03:57:05 pm »
Dont know if I would disturb the hive every couple of weeks-probably do more harm than good.  I use the oil traps myself and they seem to keep the numbers down somewhat however they don't get all of the boogers. If it were me, and I live in the middle of SHB I would just go on business as usual after putting your traps in. Too many hive checks seems to be counter productive.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 08:11:36 pm »
Go ahead and get the traps and trays bought and ready to install when they are found.   With the warm climate there, it may not take very long for the beetles to take over your hive. 

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:43:08 pm »
All you have to do is remove the top cover and the inner cover if you have them you will know it.  Hive crowded and in full sun. Just don't put 10 frames of honey in a hive with 2 frames of bees for protection. They will not bother foundation so fill the hive with foundation, and drawn combs that the bees can cover.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:20:34 am »
All you have to do is remove the top cover and the inner cover if you have them you will know it.  Hive crowded and in full sun. Just don't put 10 frames of honey in a hive with 2 frames of bees for protection. They will not bother foundation so fill the hive with foundation, and drawn combs that the bees can cover.

This is good advice. If you have SHB you will know as soon as you lift the cover. Don't give the bees any more space to defend than you have bees to protect.

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan