Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wisconsin and Minnesota Pollen and nectar flow this year?  (Read 3165 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Wisconsin and Minnesota Pollen and nectar flow this year?
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:18:07 pm »
Im just wondering how my neighbors are doing this year for nectar and pollen flows.  I have had an extremely pleasant pollen flow this year with frames jammed full of it.  Nectar flow has been steady since spring and has been increased nicely the past few weeks.  Clover has not produced any nectar yet so I dont know where they are getting nectar other then raspberry and blackberry which should be finished for the most part now.  Milkweed just stated popping, star thistle is a week or less away, and I think basswood to is yet to come so I am planning on a great season.

And that brings to mind the pollen frame question I have.  Can you just freeze frames of pollen for use later?  How about bee bread? 
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Wisconsin and Minnesota Pollen and nectar flow this year?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:30:04 pm »
Don't know about your flow up there, but yes you can freeze frames for later use.   

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:55:26 am »
Things have been going steady here in Michigan.  We didn't get any locust.   Vetch is good and needed this rain we are getting.   Thanks for sending it this way.   Star thistle needs a few weeks yet.   Dam State is trying to kill it off with weevils.   They better keep there bugs off my farm
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:48:32 am by danno »

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 12:07:35 pm »
Its only my second year and Im fixing a queenless issue but the bees were really working the super this spring. I pulled some honey from the super before installing my new queen. Pollen looks good and they have been bringing it in steady.
I hesitate to admit I dont know what plants they are working other than the apple and crab trees in the spring. The honey I pulled so far has a licorice finish to it. Wonder what thats from?
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 01:42:29 pm »
licorice finish in the midwest is strange.   i have a jar of sourwood from the smokeys that has a licorice finish

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:17:38 pm »
It is sure different than last falls honey.
Ive been eating it everyday and I havent turned green or felt ill or sprouted any strange growths yet soooo I think its OK to eat  :)
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

anything