Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Borescope anyone?  (Read 5028 times)

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Borescope anyone?
« on: June 21, 2010, 10:52:28 pm »
Does anyone have a borescope? I see some ranging in $1000+ and some on ebay going for $100 or so.
Any comments?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Borescope anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:03:17 pm »
Here is the one I use.   I think JP uses the same one as well.

http://djvmerchandise.com/pro1409886.html

I think we got them for ~$98 at the time.   Here is the original discussion, but the link to where we bought them no longer works.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,13767.msg164784.html#msg164784
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 11:09:50 pm »
I've got the same one (JP turned me on to the supplier). Try etooldirect.com

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 11:51:28 pm »
I know you guys do a lot of cutouts and probably help to have one sometime, esp to scope out the job.
I'd like to have one for fun. Peek into the hive once and while and maybe a few cutouts here and there.
All right, maybe when I have some extra funds.  :-D

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:24:19 am »
cgi.ebay.com/Ridgid-SeeSnake-Micro-/180521240012?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a07e785cc#ht_500wt_1154

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:21:58 am »

Scott

yup, there it is -> http://www.etooldirect.com/provision-pv2618-2-5-8mm-7400-pixels-hi-def-borescope.html

must have changed their website because old link is now broken
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:24:33 am »
cgi.ebay.com/Ridgid-SeeSnake-Micro-/180521240012?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a07e785cc#ht_500wt_1154

Drawbacks to the rigid are you have to drill at least a 1/2" or maybe bigger hole.  With the Pro Vision,  you only need a 1/4" hole, which is not only less noticeable and easier to patch, but bees can't come out the hole.....

Secondly, the display screen can be very difficult to see in the sun or bright lighting.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:18:49 am by Robo »

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:56:34 pm »
I was just going to ask about this style versus one that has a LCD display. In sunlight I'm sure it's hard to see the display.
I wear glasses, wonder if looking into the Provision model that you guys have will be an issue.
Like with DSLR cameras, I like the viewfinder to be larger because I wear glasses.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 10:20:18 am »
Thanks for the direction on this purchase.  I need one, and am shopping around.  Just have to convince the wife it is a neccessity.  :)
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 10:35:21 am »
Thanks for the direction on this purchase.  I need one, and am shopping around.  Just have to convince the wife it is a neccessity.  :)

If you will be doing quite a bit of cut outs there will come a time when this device proves itself to be invaluable. You may not use it a whole bunch but when you need it...

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 04:30:09 pm »
JP, can you give us some examples on when you've used the borescope?
Thanks

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 05:27:44 pm »
I use mine on virtually all cut outs. Even if it's evident where they are I'll make a small  (1/4") and let the owner see what I'm up against. Once they see what appears to be a giant bee crawling across the lens they won't question your fee anymore :-D

I did one recently where the colony was 12' or so from the actual entrance. I had to drill inspection holes in the ceiling in 4-5 places before I found them. Because of this, they only had to patch a few holes instead of replacing Half a room's worth of drywall.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »
JP, can you give us some examples on when you've used the borescope?
Thanks

On any building where surface temperatures are higher than mid eighties I use it. As Scott mentioned on any removal you are uncertain where the colony is.

They work great on trees as well.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 04:40:08 pm »
Thanks guys. Looks like I will be investing in one very soon. It's just a cool toy to have!  :-D

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 07:10:32 pm »
I just bought the above mentioned borescope a week or so ago and have usd it a few tines already.....fantastic tool!  not sure why i waited so long to get one! :)  nice picture clarity and easy to use.

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »
I saw on Provision's website that they have a camera lens attachment. That would be really fun!  :-D

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 08:56:23 pm »

Scott

yup, there it is -> http://www.etooldirect.com/provision-pv2618-2-5-8mm-7400-pixels-hi-def-borescope.html

must have changed their website because old link is now broken

FYI, I just ordered one from the link above.
$89 and free shipping!!!! (Free shipping on $99 +)
But enter discount code TJS and you'll get $10 off. Great deal if you guys need one or another. :)
Thanks!

Offline keithbeekeeper

• Brood
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:02 am »
i have bought one and it really worked perfectly. it costs a great amount of money but its all good because it helped me with my bee keeping success!