Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: capped brood  (Read 1335 times)

Offline tincan

• House Bee
capped brood
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:12:33 pm »
6 packages hived 5/4/13 four on drawn comb and some new foundation  these four have capped brood and seem to be doing very well  the other two had a frame of drawn comb and the rest foundationless  they are drawing comb real nice maybe 1/2 the frames are drawn but dont see any capped brood they working real hard and it looks like they have a purpose couldnt look to much for a queen as i was worried about having comb fall out as it is not all the way attached  is this normal or could they be queenless they have some honey stored and look great just no capped brood    thanks

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: capped brood
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:19:19 pm »
Do you see any "uncapped" brood or eggs? :)d2

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:23:59 pm »
couldnt tell there was so many bees covering that frame but could not see any capped brood  and did not mess with the foundationless frames because they were not all the way secured

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:55:06 pm »
If you keep the frames vertical (oriented the same as they are in the hive-- don't tilt them) and handle them with care,   they should be strong enough to support themselves for an inspection. 

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:08:55 pm »
after further review i think they filled that drawn frame with food and queen does not have place to lay so i gave them another frame of drawn comb and took syrup away

anything