Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help!! Sotheren Cal swarm.  (Read 11602 times)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
CALAFORNIA SWARM
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2005, 04:41:16 pm »
O K here is the latest update on the swarm rescued in January.Two days ago I went through the hive I got out of the bird house last spring they had two mediums of brood and two mediums of honey just packed no room for anything else and alot of bees.I took one medium full of honey and bees and added to the swarm I rescued in January,Newspaper method.Tthe other medium of honey and bees and added it to my hive I purchased last year .I had to requeen this hive last year late it was a weak hive I then added a new Deep on the Birdhouse hive did this twwo days ago went this morning every one is happy and doing bee work I'm trying to get them booming for the april flows I'll keeep you posted
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Anonymous

Help!! Sotheren Cal swarm.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2005, 09:18:52 pm »
Sounds great Kirk-o. Clammy and I have been feilding questions a lot about bees since you got the swarm. They were very impressed when I told them you live in an apartment and still keep bees. Most of them didn't believe you could keep bee in a city. thought there was some kind of law on the books that forbid it.
 :lol:  :lol:  Check the local rules.

:D Al

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
CALAFORNIA SWARM
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2005, 10:52:29 am »
Hey Buddy
Well I herd thar it is against yhe law to have bees in the city here in L A.I Know a guy who had some and the neighbor complained had to move them.The Agriculture Rep told me if you havw more than 2 hives you have to register them but nobody ever doses.WereI live about 5 minutes from Hollywood it is very hilly and lots of trees.I had 4 bee hives right on Sunset Blvd by the Fire Station at a community garden the land owner locke everyone out and removed my bees would not let even by them back.So I started over last year.I'm now in the process of Planting African Blue Basil Milkweed Anise Hyoops and Cat nip in large numbers at the Urban farm as bee forage It is really starting to come together I figure in a couple of years It will be done  oh I'm going to get some Black Locust seedlings also So I had no place to garden or bee keep so I had to get inventive.I want to save the bees kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2005, 11:12:08 am »
:( Well that was rotten of the land owner not to allow you to recover your bees and equipment.
 :)  Kare and I planted a garden just for the bees so to speak about 8' from the hives. It started out to be about 25' x 50' but is now close to 25' x 75'.
Look for a source of Motherwort a member of the mint family. The bees just go wild over it from (in this area) mid May to late August. Is also good as a tea to relieve cramps.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: My friend Bob told me to do an internet search on it  :lol:  :lol: . Amazing the uses for it  :lol:  :lol: .

I got started keeping bees because I wanted to save the bees.
Now I think they are saving me.
 :D Al

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
california swarm
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2005, 02:44:13 pm »
10 four ole buddy yes mints are really great I'm starting 60 giant sunflowers today. I ussally plat the plants they talk about in the American bee journal I read were Anise Hyoops the licorice mint will produce a 1000pounds of honey a acre Thank you for your communicationkirk-0

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2005, 09:16:39 am »
I think it is spelled Hyssop as I was searching for it. Couldn't find anything about nector amounts it produced. Really? 1,000 pounds per acre?

How many bees would that take?
What's the honey like?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
cal swarm
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2005, 09:46:27 am »
Oh Yeah
I'm not the best speller.I came across this in the American Bee Journal
a couple of years ago maybe three it was based on some work by a guy named Pellet I think is his name he did a book on bee forage and planting just for bees at the time he wrote this book I think in the 50's or sixties kir-o

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
cal swarm
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2005, 11:29:04 am »
O k Tailtwister
I feel bad about the spelling so I went and found some more data I got these seeds (Agastache scrophulariifolia)Giant Purple Hyssop I planted some at the garden I was a member of before we were Ivicted I ordered them from Tibor I.Szabo R R 1 Puslinch Ontario Canada NOB 2JO
519 763 2715 phone number they grew about three to five feet tall big purple spikes lasted 2-3 weeks the bees were all over them
kirk-o

anything