Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: combined hive today but ?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
combined hive today but ?
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:37:18 pm »
had a hive that i knew was queenless.  had popped a frame of eggs and stuff in over a  week ago to hold them until i could combine.  did the combine today, but had expected them to make at least an attempt at queen cells.  there were none, but they had tended the brood fine.  thought that was odd?

wondered:  1.  no drones so why bother or 2. failed queen that i missed?

don't really need a solution, but was curious about the findings.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: combined hive today but ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:01:31 pm »
My guess would be there's a queen of some kind in there.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:23:55 pm »
that's what i'm afraid of, but i sure couldn't find her and the numbers were not that great.  should have slipped a queen excluder in there with the newspaper, i guess.  i'll be unhappy to have a crappy queen kill my good one  :(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:44:26 pm »
Seems you definitely had a queen in there. No roar? Good numbers before the combine or low numbers?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:03:48 pm »
no roar, but kind of nasty pre brood addition.  low numbers.  no sign of eggs, brood, etc.  other hives have lots of brood.  i sure couldn't find her and i'm pretty good at it.  should have been even easier with the numbers low.  maybe she was a skinny one and i just didn't see her.......

i'll have another look tomorrow.  it's supposed to be pretty warm and they probably won't be through the paper if i get at it.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 11:33:11 pm »
Did you use the news paper method?  I'd slip an excluder in just to be on the safe side. give them a top entrance. let them go for a couple weeks and check in. :)doak

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 11:43:16 pm »
i did.  i will. i did.   :-D

unfortunately, i worked faster than i processed info.  should have slipped that queen excluder in right away.  if she's skinny or small, it may not matter.  i'll recheck tomorrow.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:47:30 pm »
Even a skinny queen can't squeeze her thorax through an excluder without a lot of determination.  I have found them wedged into an excluder and stuck...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 12:12:19 am »
thanks guys.  i'll let you know what i find.

the other thing i noticed about this hive last time and today was that they were disorganized.  i'm not sure how to explain that better, but that's the word that comes to mind.  other than the clump of bees tending the small patch of brood i'd given them, they were all over the place.

tomorrow's another day  :-)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 11:53:14 pm »
went through it again.  no queen.  no behavior that would suggest a queen.  i did find an old cell on another frame that looked like the start of a queen cell, but it wasn't on the frame of brood i'd added.  seems odd, but i'll leave them alone and see what happens. 

anyway, thanks again for the input.