Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extractor  (Read 1533 times)

Offline redhat

• New Bee
Extractor
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:27:07 pm »
Hello all, could u recommend an extractor for me to buy. I would prefer a 4 frame stainless steel but I have an open mind. Thanks.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Extractor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »
Are you looking to import one?   What kinds do they have down there?   I have a 4 frame hand spin.  I would love to have an electric model, but it really won't pay yet.   

Offline redhat

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:30:22 pm »
The types they have are stainless steel (2 and above frames) but too expensive for me. Might use Mann Lake's free shipping to send it to FL and have my relative ship it from there to me. Not sure what their international shipping costs are. Been to the US several times from last year to this year but now I have no plans to do so is when I need an extractor. Could've simply carried it as a piece of my luggage.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:37:59 pm »
A very large carry on?     Shipping and import fees may be your biggest problem.   If the price is too high, you can always look into making one or two homemade extractors.   

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:39:34 pm »
Also, Brushy Mountain should have free shipping during December and Walter Kelly has free shipping next week to shop around some.

Offline redhat

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 11:39:50 pm »
Thanks AllenF

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:15:40 pm »
If you only have one or two hives, you might do better to see if your local club has one you can borrow or some one might 'help' you with theirs, but remember you should clean it. If you decide to purchase, I got a motorized one and I love it. -Mike
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:10:05 pm by mikecva »
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline redhat

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 04:55:50 pm »
Our local bee association has an extractor but I am going to need one so i will try to buy it sooner than later. Mann Lake is in the process of putting a quote together for shipping me one. If that is too expensive I will use their free shipping to FL and have someone send it from there to me.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 05:24:38 pm »
Own extractor is very necessary in beekeeping.
Don't even think to do own..

If  you find used, half price, that would be good.

However, when you have basic skills and tools, it is easier to nurse 5 hives than 3 hives.
If one dies from 3, it is 33%

when hive is full of nectar and capped honey, bees slown down working if you cannot ectract honey and arrange new room for nextar. You may loose easily extractor price only with this system.

I had a hive on balance. It brought more weight 3,5 kg a day. Bees hung in cluster on walls because hive was full. I took capped honey away and gove 3 boxes empty combs. Next day the hive brought 7 kg .
It was raspberry flow.
At same year another hive on balance brought  50kg in 7 days. Every day 7,5 kg. If you are able to catch these flows, it is best what you see in bee nursing. Total yield was 170 kg.

Language barrier NOT included

anything