Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just found out what my packages will cost for 2009  (Read 8631 times)

Offline purvisgs

• New Bee
Re: Just found out what my packages will cost for 2009
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 02:19:46 am »
I have not had good luck with ceder glen bees, maybe just me but can't recommend them...

trees n bees or (possibly) bellevile honey in mt vernon have packages

any package you get (west coast) is cali bees, just hope for a well mated queen and if you are lucky you might be able to get something other than italians

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 10:24:23 am »
I got a nuc to start with and deep and one medium for my brood area used hat and veil and hive tool and gloves and smoker for $100.00 the guy likes to get people started he is a commercial beek with over 3.000 hive's. He is very busy so he is not around much for mentoring but he stop's by when he can.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 11:57:02 am »
Sean, I'm only going to put a couple of hives there as it's away from the house.  I don't have the time to fiddle with too many off my property.  I do want to make it educational for the members, maybe give short talks/tours to a few at a time mostly w/kids to get the idea that everything is connected, soil, light, bugs, plants & food we eat.  Jen does a good job with the soil, light & plants, the bees will be one piece of the puzzle as well as butterflies & other common pollinators. I would like them to think about what they do, how little actions can add up in big ways, both for good & for bad.  Next meeting is the 1st Mon in Jan...(I think.. :-\) I'm gonna keep my camera in the car to take pix of those turkeys!!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline winenutguy

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 09:11:32 pm »
Hi Everyone;
Would you mind if I get in on this to and call a few of the mentined sites?  I'm going to need two packages for my first hives this spring and have been wondering where to go.  I'll ask my club this Wed. but if that doesn't work out I'd like to jump on the mentioned sites as well.  Best to all and thank you!  Winenutguy (in Bellingham).

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »
Is it me, or is there a bunch of beeks from Washington?   Seems like they come out of the woodwork :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 09:38:24 pm »
BjornBee, Here in the PNW it's not wood, it's moss! :-D ;)  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 09:43:19 pm »
Boy did I get lucky today.  Found an ad in paper where family was getting out of Beeking due to illness.  The owner had a heart attack.  Picked up three heavy hives of Italian Bees.  The Queens, Bees, hives, supers, tops, SBBs, West Beetle Traps all look great!! Probably less than a year old.  Did I mention the supers were full of Honey?  $100.00 each!!

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 10:43:37 pm »
Hi Everyone;
Would you mind if I get in on this to and call a few of the mentined sites?  I'm going to need two packages for my first hives this spring and have been wondering where to go.  I'll ask my club this Wed. but if that doesn't work out I'd like to jump on the mentioned sites as well.  Best to all and thank you!  Winenutguy (in Bellingham).

I sent you a PM with some info

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 04:10:12 am »
Gee Whiz,

My 2 packages were really pricey.  Out of the 2, one is light.  I sure hope it Winters out ok...There were over $200 for the 2, not to mention the diesel gas in our truck and 2 1.2 hour trip up and back to Vacaville.  If i decide to but another package from Taber's I will try to buy them as a member of the San Fran Beek's Assoc.  I think someone drive and picks them up, then perhaps I would only need to drive to Sf to pick them up...that is about 1 1/4 hour way.

I am halfway tempted to see if I can catch some swarms in 2009~

We shall see...hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmm

Hugs

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 12:49:49 am »
Hi,

I bought some from Taber's and you are right they are pricey.  However, the Russian is the best hive I have.  I also caught two swarms and made one split.  Next year I will do some splits and just get some queens.  I saw nucs 5 frame advertised on craigslist and the gentleman was taking orders for April at $80 a piece the stock sounded good and I do not have details here. 

I have Italians, Russians and who knows (swarms).  I am sort of waiting to see which type produce the most honey.  So far the Russians are winning.  I am curious as to other beekeepers experience as to types of bees and would love recommendations.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 03:03:52 am »
I agree that the Taber bees are really doing well...they are Russian Carni or Yugo Russian carni thingie dingy...I am tempted to but at least one package from him again...but I don't want the drive...

I really trust Tabers...hhhhmmm tough call...hhhhmmmm

Where is Fiddletown?

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 08:12:48 pm »
I checked in my area, packages at one place is 85.00 for 3lbers, seems high with the gas going down and all. Nucs 125.00 they bring them up from Fla. Bet its a lot slower business this year for packages.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline dhood

• House Bee
    • WD Hood Apiaries
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 08:37:25 pm »
Wow, $85... I'm glad I live in the south. Our #3lb packages with mated queen will be $63-68 in April 09.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 08:40:18 pm »
Bet its a lot slower business this year for packages.

Only till the first time beekeepers get to see their hives after January. I have spoken to many beekeepers on the east coast and one thing is constant.....light hives going into winter. Seems a poor fall flow for no particular reason, and a longer colder winter forecasted, and I bet losses will quickly mount up to high numbers come spring.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2008, 01:24:30 pm »
Bet its a lot slower business this year for packages.

Only till the first time beekeepers get to see their hives after January. I have spoken to many beekeepers on the east coast and one thing is constant.....light hives going into winter. Seems a poor fall flow for no particular reason, and a longer colder winter forecasted, and I bet losses will quickly mount up to high numbers come spring.

Poor fall flow in some areas and just odd in others, and an odd year all around.  Many days where the bees couldn't do anything, many days where if they could bring anything in then they couldn't dry it well.  I had more honey left uncapped this year than I'm comfortable admitting, I must say that too.  My smaller colonies made more honey than my bigger colonies this year.   :'(  Seemed like a high-overhead year for the boomer colonies.

Bjorn, you are right on the mark with the east coast hives light comment.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 04:40:16 pm »
hives very lite this year. Just enough rain for flowers but no nevtar is my opinion. I fed a huge amount and still light. I will be putiing fondant on maybe the next warm day just as insurance.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2008, 09:25:18 pm »
KONASDAD - I put sugar on a few weeks ago on three colonies.  I don't know when I'll be able to report if any of them are up into the sugar.  I'm pretty confident in the rest of my colonies, but I'll still be lifting all the boxes periodically and removing the outer cover to try to see if any clusters are at the top.  Let us know how quickly the fondant gets used.  I think you'll hear about a lot of people emergency feeding this year.  I know there's some folks around here whose outlooks on their hive weights changed drastically between November and now, and for the worst.  Some of it is just worry, but for some folks I think that worry is justified unfortunately.

I'll be curious how many folks have to emergency feed this year too.

anything