Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beemaster's Bee's are a commin' Pollen in heavy flow now - ugh  (Read 2047 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Hi All:

I thought I posted a similar post yesterday, I must have closed the window before sending it. I ordered bees (finally) really was taking my time, but thanks to TWT found a good price for 3lbs. of Italians with marked, clipped queen - they ship on the 30th.

Kicking myself here, my Spring rush on pollen is in FULL BLOOM right now - 30+ trees that line my main street in town only hundreds of feet from here, it is a massive source of pollen for early buildup. The next one to come is Locust trees in about a month - ugh.

I'm ready though for bees and for filming. I've been working on my "documentary style of film making" and I think I'll have some nice stuff throughout the season.

Wish me luck, I do believe I'm a victim of CCD this year, I've had hives full of dead bees over the many years, but never seeing cleansing flights in mass and 3 weeks later find a hive with about a cup of bees in it and otherwise fine shape. Whatever the cause, I sure wish these girls a good home and many seasons of prosperity :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Re: Beemaster's Bee's are a commin' Pollen in heavy flow now - ugh
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:58:05 pm »
Congrats beemaster & I feel ya on the anticipation.  This is my first season and I've only five hives going now (4 Carniolans from nucs, 1 Italian from 3.5lb package) with 5 more nucs on the way 2nd week of May.  I'm looking at all these cherry blossoms, cherry, pear, alder, maple, etc., etc., and wishing that I had a massive apiary running full steam.  The bees that are going now are coming back loaded down probably just from the dandelions.  Oh well... there's the rest of the summer (apple & blueberry soon then blackberry, wildflower, etc.,) and, next spring, I expect these bees to be making quick work of all these early blooms. 
Funny how beekeeping makes one look at things differently.  My car and anything outside is often coated in a fairly thick layer of yellow dust this time of year, which was always a nuisance.. now I think " all u can eat @ the bee buffet"!  :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dane

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:52:47 am »
Dont fret too much Bemaster. The weather has been so lousy until this weekend, that the girls could only look out of the hive at all the pollen. Many blooms are water/wind damaged and the bees are ignoring them. The next few eeks will be cool.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 01:06:16 am »
Just got the news, my bees will be here on the 28th.  Can't wait for Saturday.  The guy said he's even getting a few extra packages for those who might want more.  If I get there early enough I think I'll get an extra.  4's better than 3, right? 

Beeyard is all set up (and posted).  I'll mix the sugar syrup on Thursday.  Spend Saturday afternoon settling them into there new digs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything