Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Multiple eggs in cells, but queen is present  (Read 7202 times)

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Multiple eggs in cells, but queen is present
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 01:41:44 pm »
One of the most interesting parts of keeping bees, and actually, the thing that makes keeping them possible, is that they do the same things, most of the time.  So you can get some general "rules" that work most of the time.  Then, you see something new that doesn't fit the rules.  You have to put on the thinking cap, and try to salvage the situation.  Remember, don't work against your bees.  Observe their strengths and make them work for you.  You got bees that make lots of wax... make comb honey.  New swarms... draw foundations,  boomers.. raise a few queens.  Learn your flows, and maximize your harvest (and make increase) with a few cutdowns.  Just be careful.  Beekeeping is addicting, and 3 colonys quickly become 30.

Offline Virginia Beekeeper

• New Bee
Multiple eggs in cells, but queen is present
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 09:09:19 pm »
I also live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Va. I have been bee keeping over 40 yrs. and I still don't consider myself to be an expert, there is always more to learn, thats the fun of bee keeping.
   A queen that is laying 2-3 eggs can also be a sign of a failing queen. Your bees should be much farther along in there brood rearing this time of year. I started years ago practicing what I call preventive bee keeping, by that I mean trying to stop things before they have a chance to happen. Bee keeping is one place this practice pay off. I don,t thank your queen will get any better,my simple rule is when in dought take her out! There are queens available this time of year try Walter T. Kelly. I am sorry to confuse you even more, but use your common sense your first hunch is most often the correct one.

anything