Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Location of a new bee hive  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Brian51

• New Bee
Location of a new bee hive
« on: June 11, 2013, 01:18:59 pm »
Hello, I have 11 acres 4 of those acres is woods and a half acre pond by the woods, the rest is almost all clover for now  where should I think of putting my 1 st. Hive ? I here location is key.... 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Location of a new bee hive
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 01:38:24 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:56:14 pm »
Anywhere that will make you happy looking at the hives will be the best spot.  Bees don't care much. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:42:30 am »
Close enough that you can walk out your door and check on your bees. You will be doing that a lot. If you are in the south, you want a place where your chair is in the shade but the hive has lots of sun to keep the small hive beetles out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 12:39:00 pm »
Please read Michael Bush's url. The only thing I would add is not having your hive in damp areas even if the area does not flood the wood will not last an it could be a pain to get around in to work your hive. If you have lots of grasses in your pond that is good otherwise make a few light weight small (1/4"x12"x12") floats for the bees to land on. My floats absorb enough water that the top of the float floors are wet but not under water.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Brian51

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 01:40:21 pm »
Please read Michael Bush's url. The only thing I would add is not having your hive in damp areas even if the area does not flood the wood will not last an it could be a pain to get around in to work your hive. If you have lots of grasses in your pond that is good otherwise make a few light weight small (1/4"x12"x12") floats for the bees to land on. My floats absorb enough water that the top of the float floors are wet but not under water.  -Mike
thank you for the info

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:50:28 pm »
Near a source of water.

mvh Edward  :-P

anything