Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bumble or carpenter bees going in super  (Read 1552 times)

Offline hvac professor

• House Bee
bumble or carpenter bees going in super
« on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:11 pm »
I am a new member and a 1st year bee keeper who has been completely delighted with this new hobby.
I do have a concern as I have 5 deep boxes on my new hive and have observed them all summer and today saw 3 bumble or carpenter bees going in and out of the bottom box without seeing a honey bee even concerned. Any idea why?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: bumble or carpenter bees going in super
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 02:57:19 am »
Oops, I kind of replied twice....

FIVE deeps on your hive?  WOW, you’re off to a great start!  That said, I can’t believe a 5 deep hive would let anything in.  Is the hive packed with bees?  Is that 5 deeps of drawn frames and honey?  

My bottom entrances are PACKED with bees; nothing is going to get in without plowing through a bunch of bees and I don’t have any 5 deep hives.  My concern would be how many bees are really in your 5 deep hive?  If the guard bees are not guarding, I would be worried about being queenless.  Check for eggs/larvae.  I would also start harvesting some of that honey  :)

Offline hvac professor

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 04:31:52 pm »
last time i checked the top super was full of bees and there were full frames in the middle of honey.

I am not sure if you saw my comment that four of the five supers I have have a 1" entrance hole where the bees would not have to go through the bottom entrance. There are always lots of bees going in and out of the small super entrance holes

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:36:13 pm »
Sounds like you have too much open space in the hive and the carpenter bees have taken over some of the bottom.   See just how much of the boxes have bees and pull the rest.  You may not have any bees in the bottom deep or 2.  Where are you located?  And welcome to the forum.