Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: David Winters / Long Creek Apiaries - Has anyone had good luck with them?  (Read 15402 times)

Offline handymandave

• New Bee
Last year I ordered and paid for a package from David Winters / Long Creek Apiaries. ($80 plus shipping.) When he failed to supply one, after many delays, problems, etc., I agreed to take one this year which he promised would be shipped before any 2010 orders.
He has promised, explained, and delayed and still I have nothing from him. I wait days for any response to emails and never at a phone call and I am frustrated.
Has anyone any luck dealing with this individual?
Any suggestions?
(This is the second individual in the beekeeping business who has utterly failed thus far to fulfill what was promised during the two years I have been keeping bees. The beekeepers I know personally are honest, upstanding and trustworthy. The ones I have dealt with from a distance have been much less so. Is this a pattern?)

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
I got 1 package of Caucasians from him last year, other than having to wait awhile(I got them at the beginning of june instead of the beginning of May when my Russians came from another source)  I had no problems.  They've been great bees, which made it through the winter fine and have been uber gentle to work with.  I'm sorry to hear about your issues.

Part of the problem with package and nuc suppliers is how the business is set up.  They take orders based on estimates of build up and production which are in part determined by factors beyond their control ie weather and flows.  I'm not trying to say that there aren't bad apples out there or people whose business practices don't leave a lot to be desired, just that even honest people can have trouble delivering in off years. 

I've found that people are reluctant to proactively call and tell you that they can't fulfill your order because they don't want to loose the business even though I would respect them more if they were up front about what was going on.

Hope you get some satisfaction this year.

Adam
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
Well he just posted over on beesource that he is going out of business, and sounds like he is trying to blame the internet for his bad rep rather than what he did to get it

Offline Paperman

• New Bee
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: The board of directors of Long Creek Apiaries, Inc. informally voted to liquidate assets to refund money for unfilled orders and to exchange single hives for packages whenever it is possible. A motion to liquidate all assets and dissolve the company was tabled until after the single hives are sold and debts are paid or no later than October 30, 2010. I think for tax purposes, any dissolution was occur on December 31, 2010. The board feels that even if the company emerges from these difficulties financially intact, the image has been so damaged in the internet community it can not continue operations. Again, that decision will be made at the next board meeting. Any formal filing for bankruptcy will be based on the financial situation of the company at the next board meeting.

Offline beryfarmer

• House Bee
I have had same luck with Long Creek and have been very patient- sent him a check may 2009 for package - nothing yet--Seems a disorganized outfit after my many calls, emails etc.  At this point I will be surprised if I see my money again.

I think the comment of reputation tarnished and that is why teir business is not doing well is BS.  No one at this forum has said anything- only the other forum. If only they would deliver as promised then their reputation would come back.

Offline MikeS

• New Bee
I ordered 2 packages of bees from Mr. Winters on 4/21/10. I paid the price of the bees plus shipping by personal check but still have not received any bees or a refund. I was promised delivery the first week of June 2010 and again the third week of June 2010, also the first week of July ETC.

I have written Mr. Winters and talked to them once on the phone ( only time I could get them to answer) when they told me they would ship first of July. Well its way too late now here in KY anyway.

I have heard lots of excuses beginning with weather, then divorce and his wife putting a hold on his business and money, then hints of bankruptcy etc. He has also stated he is shutting down his Long Creek Apiary Business, but he has already opened a new internet business at: caucasianbreeder.com . He is taking orders now for 2011 shipments at this new web site, when there are many customers that still haven't had their order filled for 2010 and 2009 or received refunds. He also had another business before Long Creek Apiary , American Bee Supply Inc. His new business name for the new web site is Mountain Grey Caucasian Bee Characteristics .

I hate to see this kind of business happening to beekeepers and especially new ones, how discouraging this has to be to them. I have hives already established but some people just starting out were depending on those bees after he took their money and had to spend the season without bees due to their money being tied up with him. 

I don't expect to ever get my money back but I wanted to warn people so the same thing doesn't happen to them.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
wow i spent about 3 hours reading all 19 pages, that is some harsh stuff, glad i have local bee breeders here and dont need to get bees shipped.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
handymandave,

Draper's in Millerton, Pa for your Bee Needs. Also Brushy Mountain has a new branch in New Columbia, Pa. Both are good package suppliers and good people.

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
I am not going to elaborate, but I did not have a very good experience with him or his bees.  Unfortunately it is hard to find pure russians & even harder to find caucasians.  I have some MN hygenics from B & B Honey Farm in Minnesota that have done well for me.  I would stay far away from Mr. Winters, just my 2 cents.
Sleep is overrated!

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: David Winters / Long Creek Apiaries - Has anyone had good luck with them?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 03:39:45 pm »
Holy Smoke! Glad all the folks I have dealt with were good honest people!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 09:01:14 pm »
 :ninja:  Research before you buy.

Offline riverbee

• New Bee
  • Rush River Honey Company
    • keeping wild things in a box
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 07:09:25 pm »
research before you buy.....
now i am  :deadhorse:.....fooey!

i have to give credit to ronwhite3030 for reading 19 pages from that forum, alot of reading!  i did the same when i realized i had been swindled out of $740.00 this year.

in short, i ordered bees from David Winters of Long Creek Apiaries in february 2010, they were NEVER delivered and he REFUSES TO SEND ME A REFUND OF MY $740.00.  If you would like some facts on David Winters and Long Creek Apiaries, or my experience with him, these are my posts 'overthere': #164 page 17; #180 page 18; #182 page 19;#192 page 20; and #193 page 20.  just go to the link rdy-b supplied. i am unable to link to my posts because i have not posted here.

i hope i can help another beek out before they send david winters of long creek apiaries their hard earned money. 

i also checked with the Better Business Bureau, there has been a couple more complaints filed with them since I last checked.  the Better Business Bureau has given Long Creek Apiaries an 'F' rating. i can look at the number of complaints filed, for what reasons, and if any have been resolved; just google Better Business Bureau of Tennessee and in the search box type in Long Creek Apiaries. (geez, i remember getting an 'F' in school.... :shock:

I never really ever used the Better Business Bureau to check out a company until I did business with David Winters of Long Creek Apiaries and had $740.00 SWINDLED from me by him. Lesson learned, i get an 'F' for trusting David Winters of Long Creek Apiaries.

i keep wild things in a box....

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 10:19:25 pm »
Boy, am I glad I stumbled on this thread.  I just talked to Long Creek Apiaries today and there was not a hint of problems.  He told me all about his decades of experience, his work with russian bees and was ready and willing to take my money now for a couple of packages.  He even told me to call him back and he would give me all the transaction details and final bill so I could go online with Google Checkout and pay for the packages that way.
Lucky me.
Bruce

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 07:16:39 am »
 :evil: David Winters  :evil:

It´s not hard to guess why his wife wants to divorce him  :roll:

Offline riverbee

• New Bee
  • Rush River Honey Company
    • keeping wild things in a box
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 01:54:26 pm »
Bruce, I checked with Google checkout this morning after I read your post.  I can’t find an account setup for David Winters of Long Creek Apiaries? Maybe one will appear after my post... David Winters is not going to tell you he owes many beekeepers money.  Wait until David Winters owes you money or bees and his disposition will change. David Winters  won’t answer your calls, letters or emails, or demand letters from an attorney.

David Winters of Long Creek Apiaries recently told me that his business does not have the money to pay refunds, and further, told me income later obtained from his business would be used to pay back personal money used. ????

Your money maybe?  Scary.  All you beeks can figure it out.

Do a Google search of Long Creek Apiaries.  Check out and read through the other forum’s pages.  Make a phone call to the Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs and check the Better Business Bureau complaints, or go here for more facts on David Winters of Long Creek Apiaries: Google rushriverhoneycompany.blogspot.com.

I have had $740.00 stolen from me. I have no bees and David Winters continues to refuse to pay me a refund. 4 months and 9 days with no refund since my first demand for my money.
i keep wild things in a box....

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 04:35:26 pm »
I wonder if there is some interstate commerce law that can be in-forced?   

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 05:01:26 pm »
I think more importantly, he appears to be a member of the russian breeders organization.  That's how I found him.  You'd think the organization would police their own when they are going to represent the organization and sell bees.  If nothing else the organization should be made aware of his representations and his insolvency.
Bruce

Offline Bheckel169

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 05:17:47 pm »
I misspoke.  Winters is not part of the Russian Breeders Association.  I found him through a google search as a russian breeder.
Bruce

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 06:23:03 pm »
I used him in 2009 for my first hive, and had a hard time contacting him this year when I wanted a couple of more packages.  After I couldn't get a hold of him I decided to use another breeder, guess I got lucky. 

P.S. I received an email back in late June from his wife saying that he had colon cancer and was dying lol guess I wouldn't believe either one of them at this point.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

anything