Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Trap Ventilation  (Read 5444 times)

Offline mat299

• New Bee
Swarm Trap Ventilation
« on: March 24, 2014, 01:22:58 pm »
I am going to build some swarm traps this weekend and get them out.  I have read several different ways to build the traps but I was wondering about the ventilation.  Some say to make ventilation holes in the traps and some don't mention it.  I am using five frame nuc boxes for my traps.  Is it necessary to have ventilation holes in the trap?  If so, how many?  I assume that if it is necessary that I will need to put some screen over them so the bee wont get out of these holes during transport?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Swarm Trap Ventilation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 02:09:32 pm »
I have about 25 nuc's that I built.   All have a 3/4 entrance in the bottom front and 2- 3/4 screened vent holes in the top back side.  In using these for splits and traps about half the colonies will immediately propolize the vents shut.  Others leave them open.  My point is let the bee's make up there minds. 

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 11:28:04 am »
Bees like very little natural ventilation in their nesting sites.  One small hole is the most attractive.  A lot of ventilation will keep them from moving in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:29:39 pm »
Ok Bush has  opinion.   Try some vented and some not and make up you own mind.   On a bad year I will catch a doz swarms  and have doubled that in better years all with vented nuc traps

Offline mat299

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:47:59 pm »
Where would be the best places to put the traps?  In the woods? Edge of a field? Beside the creek? Or maybe on the edge of a cutover?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 08:47:07 am »
I don't use vents with mine and every swarm I have caught and left in the trap for a period of time has sealed off all the cracks and crevices.   With that said, this is only one variable in the equation.  A trap with vents may still offer the best option for them.

Here is an example of one.  Check out the propolis they packed around the seam of the cover blocking off any ventilation from under the top.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMTlWYMcQoU#t=166
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything