Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Color code  (Read 6087 times)

Offline drone1952

• New Bee
    • STIRI DIN STUPARIT (Apinews)
Color code
« on: August 24, 2010, 04:14:31 am »
For how long the color code is used and what is in particular the importance of this.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Color code
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:57:18 am »
I don't know when the international standard was arrived at.  The importance is that at a glance you know the age of the queen.

http://bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearing.htm#colors
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:10:50 am »
what year establish... well I don't know.

and if your bees are highly hygienic and the paint color happens to be wrong shade then after the girls remove the little dot it tells you very little.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 02:26:34 am »
For how long the color code is used and what is in particular the importance of this.
used 12 months then color changes---importance is-everybody is on the same calendar-RDY-B

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 08:02:40 am »

For Jan 1 to Dec 31   The importance of this so you can tell the age of the  queen If color is missing did the bees re-queen them self's

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:24:50 am »
I spoke to a beek the other week who suggested using those little tins of hobby paint that people use to paint model planes - he said cut the pointy end off a 3" nail and dip this in the paint slightly and then dab it on the queen... has anyone used this technique over the commercially available marking pens? Also, who has used the numbered dots? I'd be interested in those for the purposes of record keeping - are they easy to use?

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 12:09:36 pm »
When I went to requeen earlier this year i found an Unmarked queen instead of the Marked one.  Not only does this tell me the colony requeened itself, and about when,  but that they went through TWO requeenings this year (including mine).  Which explains to me why that colony is slightly behind the others in production.  Otherwise i might be scratching my head trying to figure it out. 
Make Mead!

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 08:35:02 am »
Hemlock:

Maybe they just had a thing about the color blue!  :-D

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:27:36 pm »
Doug,

But it matched so well with the Paisley wallpaper in the honey supers!  I guess I'll need to take a Feng-shui class now... :-D
Make Mead!

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 09:30:19 am »
snip..
The importance of this so you can tell the age of the  queen If color is missing did the bees re-queen them self's

tecumseh:
maybe yes and maybe no.  just casually it appears to me the paint used to mark queens last about one year max.  some colors (red for example) seem not to last longer than 30 days.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline organicfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 11:52:17 pm »
there is a little mnemotechnic to remember color code of the queens
Wouldn't You Raise Great Bees?
White(1 &6), Yellow(2&7), Red (3&8), Green (4&9), Blue (5&0)