Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rooster sounds wierd  (Read 10735 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Rooster sounds wierd
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:45:46 pm »
So one of my roosters started sounding really sick... hoarse or something. He acts like he feels fine but he sounds wierd. Then another one has started sounding..... different

Any thoughts?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: Rooster sounds wierd
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 10:05:29 pm »
If he is young and just started then he will probably work it out.
Even if he has been crowing for a short while he could just be maturing and his voice is changing.
I have had some that sounded pathetic when they started crowing, I mean you would just burst out laughing at their attempts to crow.
Some got better and some didn't.
I prefer the deep husky crow to the high shrill crow myself. I have been known to go by a rooster's crow as to who is staying and who is going when it comes down to thinning my flock.
If he is older and has been crowing for a couple of years and he sounds hoarse its possible he has a cold or virus, especially if you say its more than one, unless they are the same age and are maturing at he same time.
Usually when they get sick you will see nasal discharge or hoarse breathing though.
If these are the ones that you hatched out this past spring its probably just them maturing and getting their big boy crow, at least I hope.
Bummer if they are sick.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 06:10:22 pm »
These guys are over a year old
I will look for the discharge
Thanks
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 12:39:04 pm »
If its a rattling type sound it very well may be CRD.  Once they have it, the symptoms may go away or the bird may eventually kill over. Regardless, once they contract it, it stays with them for life and is even passed on to offspring as a carrier.  Even though I'm not a big advocater of chemical usage, I have found that placing a capful of bleach in their water (I use one capful per 5 gallons) does wonders. It not only kills any mosquito larvae that may be present, but anything else that might be lingering around. My hens dont seem to mind, just dont get carried away with it.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 07:36:22 pm »
If you have any hens that are sneezing it could be "Viral coccidiosis", Or a respiratory infection.
doak :)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 09:49:22 pm »
Is your rooster ok? :)doak

anything