Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Noise maker  (Read 4654 times)

Offline newsman

• Brood
Bee Noise maker
« on: July 05, 2008, 10:00:10 am »
I know this sounds silly, but is there a non electrical noise maker that sounds like a bee? If I used a kazoo that sounds like bees or something like that, would it attract more bees. You know, like a duck hunter uses a duck call....I know silly....but I am curious....

Thanks

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bee Noise maker
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 12:15:52 pm »
Got to use pheromones not noise.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 01:18:04 pm »
can you make pheromones with a kazoo?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 05:05:27 pm »
I know this sounds silly, but is there a non electrical noise maker that sounds like a bee? If I used a kazoo that sounds like bees or something like that, would it attract more bees. You know, like a duck hunter uses a duck call....I know silly....but I am curious....

Thanks

Bees don't hear like we do, they pick up on vibrations, they can hear very little airborne noise.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Hivehead

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:46:41 pm »
They hear lawn mowers pretty darn good.  or maybe it's them exhaust pheromones

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 12:00:40 am »
Just picking up good vibrations...

Opps Beach Boys moment.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 01:36:41 am »

They can feel vibrations through the ground, but according to the beekeeper's test, they can't hear airborne noise.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 06:32:32 pm »

They can feel vibrations through the ground, but according to the beekeeper's test, they can't hear airborne noise.

Then how do you explain their tendency to cluster from a flying swarm when they hear thunder or it's imiatation, i.e. tinning? 

Sometimes scientists come to incorrect conclusions because of inadequate testing parameters.  I've caught several dozen swarms using tinning and I would have to believe they can "hear" air borne vibrations.  Speak is, after all, airborne vibrations.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:08:20 am »
"http://www.bee-info.com/biology-bee/acuesthesia%20.html"

This does not make any sense?? the writing... Take a look, I think it is translated... :-\

With the eyes the bee in the light of the external world gets along. It lives however most time in the darkness of the stick. There you are useful the eyes hardly somewhat, except that her it sees where the flugloch the way in the light offers. Everything else must create the antennas. By "smelling keys" it will have to differentiate eggs, youngest, older and cover-ripe larvae, pollen, unreifen and matures honey, wax and cement resin, worker -, drone and queen cells, the distances between honeycombs and booty, zugige places, which must to be sealed have, wax moths and other enemies, waste, be out-created and who knows which otherwise still everything. For the whole "interior life" of the stick the antennas are the essential tool.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:14:13 am »
Like I said, according to the beekeeper test at the top of this forum... here's the exact question, with the answer:

Question 16
A honey bee can not_______. Complete with the true statement.

a. perceive airborne sound
b. communicate with each other
c. detect a strange pheremone
d. produce royal jelly
The correct answer is: a

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:36:11 am »
It probably depends on which type of sound it is.  The air moves & changes w/thunder,vibrations from weedwhackers & mowers.  Thunder I can even feel through my body sometimes just before the sound gets to us.  My deaf dog also "feel hears" the thunder & air movement/changes. Tinning in close proximity also vibrates the air. Not "hearing" in the normal sense doesn't mean they don't feel the minute changes.  I bet if you play soft music it wouldn't bother them but louder w/lots of bass & yelling would agitate.  Heck, it agitates me! Hmm, an experiment is in order!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 01:17:47 pm »
Bees, like most all creatures, can feel vibrations. Think not? Go knock on the hive. They will come.

What is sound? Vibrations. The vibrations in the air hits a surface or anything it will also vibrate. There is even this little gizmo that shines a laser light at glass and then translate the vibrations it picks up into sound. So the cops know what the bad guy is doing. 

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 01:52:57 pm »
What is sound? Vibrations. The vibrations in the air hits a surface or anything it will also vibrate. There is even this little gizmo that shines a laser light at glass and then translate the vibrations it picks up into sound. So the cops know what the bad guy is doing. 

And the bad guy knows the cops are listening because there's a little red dot on the window.  :-D

I think the real issue here is that is how loud it has to be... Hitting the side of the hive puts more vibration through it than several hundred Db of sound.  Also, when airborn, the vibrations in the air may be lost to the receptors on the bees legs due to the flapping of their wings...

But I don't know, I'm just saying that's what's on the test.  If you have an issue with it, take it up with the people who created that test.  For all I know, it could just be a typo.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 09:27:10 pm »
I can work a grinder with a stucco blade (like I did today) and the bees don't mind, they put up with lots of different noise but they just absolutely hate banging something against the exterior of the thing they're in.

I continually am told that lawnmowers and weed eaters are prime targets.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com