Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gate Valves  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
Gate Valves
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:05:47 am »
Are they meant to hold water?  I was given a second hand bucket with gate valve and while cleaning noticed that water leaked out of the valve- tried a new O ring - still leaked so purchased a new valve. It leaks a lot more. So my query is do I risk filling the bucket with honey and have it leak or does the thicker honey not go where water will?
David L

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
Re: Gate Valves
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:27:15 am »
Wombat,

The gate valves on my extractor, honey strainer and honey drum all hold water.

Can't help you with your drama but those are my observations.

Good luck

Yanta

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:29:22 am »
From my experience you really have to tighten up the gate valves really tight to hold any liquids/honey. I have had to use a pair of pliers to tighten a gate valve.

Ben

Moots

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:45:57 am »
From my experience you really have to tighten up the gate valves really tight to hold any liquids/honey. I have had to use a pair of pliers to tighten a gate valve.

Ben

To clarify....I think ben is referring to the installation of the valve, and not the actual use.  At least, that's been my experience.  When I install my honey gates on my buckets, I have to get quite aggressive in tightening them on.  However, the last honey gates I bought specifically warned against tightening the thumb screen to shut off the valve anything more than hand tight.

Good Luck!  :)

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:39:29 am »
When I installed my gate valves the inside had a hex head pattern that was the size of a 7/8 bolt head.
I bought a bolt and 2 nuts to use as lock nuts and tightened the insert of the gate valve until the O-ring had seated flat.
I have not had a problem of leakage from the installation.
Now the gate itself has an O-ring but you don't want to over tighten it as it will become deformed and leak.

Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 04:59:06 pm »
Just to clarify it is not the fitting though the wall of the bucket that is leaking but the O ring at the gate that opens and closes. Nut and/or wing nut tight or loose leaks no matter what I do.
David L

Offline Nico

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 06:15:57 pm »
David,
Take the gate (front piece) off the valve and check the flatness with a steel rule, then check the valve body 0ne may be warped. I have never had to use force on my valves.
Nico 

Offline dermot

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:19:09 pm »
I've had trouble with leaking when the tightness of the screws is uneven. You don't need to get crazy with how hard you tighten the screws, but you do have to keep them balanced

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 10:27:06 pm »
 :imsorry:  Major embarrassment time!  Doesn't leak now.  Helps to have the little metal washer under the wing nut - not between the gate and the valve body  :roll:
David L

Offline SamboRoberts

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 03:12:54 am »
:imsorry:  Major embarrassment time!  Doesn't leak now.  Helps to have the little metal washer under the wing nut - not between the gate and the valve body  :roll:
Yeah, I can see how that would help.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 12:49:46 pm »

:-D
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Moots

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 12:53:03 pm »

Everyone has these types of moments.   :)  Not everyone is willing to admit it and put it on the internet.  :laugh:

Glad it worked out and you got it figured out.  :)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 04:17:38 pm »
word of warning.  If your honey gate has a plastic thumb screw, they will break if over tightened.   I did just that many years ago with 50+ pound of warm honey in the bucket.   I squeezed it shut and held it until my wife got home to get another bucket.  After that I replace all my plastic screws with the metal ones sold by Dadant

Offline Nico

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 05:33:38 pm »
Glad you have it sorted. I was perplexed when you mentioned the new valve leaking as well.
Nico