Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need honest opinions on new label  (Read 13348 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Re: Need honest opinions on new label
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 03:39:30 am »
   Everyone here is in bed so I'll say the last one is definitely the best.  Like goldust-twins stated, it does seem more elegant.  Hey, you may even be able to go 'designer' if you get the packaging right.  Okay the last was not serious.  But it really has come along fine.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline budhanes

• New Bee
    • Find A Beekeeper - Swarm List
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 09:04:43 am »
I liked the wifes label the best. The honeycomb background is what did it for this label.

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 10:12:05 pm »
Greg . . . towards the end of 2007 we went to market with our line of soaps, lip balms, bath salts and such and I could not afford custom labels for each product, fragrance etc.  I tried templates in Word and Word Perfect with marginal results.  Finally I tried the free Avery program that came with some filing labels we needed and with a little tweaking of the margins we are getting perfect labels now.  The Avery program allows you to import a complete label designed in Photoshop, then adjust the size to get it placed within the specific label stock.  To "proof" the set up, I print a full sheet of labels in draft on a plain sheet of paper, then hold it up to the light on top of a sheet of labels to check placement top to bottom.  Also, I have found that with some sheets of ovals and circles from Labels Online ( a HUGE selection of sizes and colors) that it matters which end is started through the printer.  This was very frustrating for a while.  Seems the outside top and bottom waste area was slightly different.  Now I take a sharpie and mark up one end of a 100 sheet stack when I receive them, and that colored end is always oriented OUT of the printer.

Their moisture resistant stock really is . . . no smudges but it is only in white.  When I want a kraft or other color, I take the minute or two to spray coat the printed sheet.  You can wipe honey off of it with a moist towel and it will not smear.  It has taken some time, but the whole design and printing process is easy now . . . save bee for a spelling correction from time to tyme.  I have saved hundreds of dollars, and can change fonts, colors etc as my wife wishes.  Until we have need for hundreds of a particular label, this method is working very well.

Don't give up, and may the force bee with you!
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2008, 01:31:58 pm »
Interesting. The waterproofing has been my biggest problem. What is that spray coat you spray onto the finished labels??

Offline BearCreekBees

• New Bee
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2008, 03:16:21 pm »
Greg- I definitely like the last one the best. The only thing I would change is instead of listing Natural- Local- Pure (or however you wrote it), I would say "All-natural, pure local honey". Then maybe add Raw and Unheated.

FYI- filtering and straining are two different processes. Filtering involves the use of a filter which the honey has to be heated and then pumped through. It is filtering that purists object to, mainly because of the need to heat the honey first, which can result in changes in flavor, enzymes, and color. Filtering also removes a lot more of the pollen, and some people want the pollen in their honey.

If you strain your honey without heating it you can still legally refer to it as unfiltered.

Good luck!

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2008, 04:09:54 pm »
Greg, sorry for highjacking your thread further but I'll address Annette and her question here.  I went to local craft store . . . . ummmm  my wife told me about the place you see, I don't go there usually.  Any way, purchased KRYLON  Acrylic Crystal Clear.  Was $3.99 last fall before everything went outta sight.  I spray the label sheets "North South"  then "East West" and let dry for 30 minutes.  It does stand up to a damp wipe.
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2008, 11:29:11 pm »
Greg, sorry for highjacking your thread further but I'll address Annette and her question here.  I went to local craft store . . . . ummmm  my wife told me about the place you see, I don't go there usually.  Any way, purchased KRYLON  Acrylic Crystal Clear.  Was $3.99 last fall before everything went outta sight.  I spray the label sheets "North South"  then "East West" and let dry for 30 minutes.  It does stand up to a damp wipe.

If this really works it will be the answer to my prays.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2008, 01:46:55 am »
Well after messing with the program for literally over 6 hours last night I finally got everything set just to find out that my printer was pulling the paper in at an angle. So the first few labels would print ok but the rest would be off.

Today I went into work and used the printer there after another few hours of messing around to get things set for that printer I finally got some labels printed. The borders still do not look perfect but it is going to have to do for now because I dont have time for this  :-x

Thank you everyone who helped me with this design. I am still working on it so some of the suggestions that came in may still be used and were defiantly appreciated.

Click to enlarge!

Here are the new bottles I am using this year.

Click to enlarge!

Difference in color between Locust and Clover

Click to enlarge!

Difference in color between Locust and Wildflower from last year

Click to enlarge!

Every thing I am selling this year.

Click to enlarge!
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2008, 10:54:09 pm »
Just beautiful label, so professional looking!!!

anything