Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Start feeding again?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
Start feeding again?
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:50:28 pm »
Okay, so my bees decided to get rid of their queen and though I haven't checked in a week or so, I'm guessing at least one of the many queen cells has emerged and with luck at the end of the week I'll have a new laying queen.

Before they decided to get rid of her, I put a super on top but the bees hadn't done anything with it yet.  However, they have started filling in most of the old brood nest with honey in the queen's absence.  I plan on removing a bunch of the full frames of honey and adding new frames so the queen will have a place to lay her eggs.  Should I remove the super and start feeding again to help them build out the comb on the new frames, or am I okay to just leave things the way they are?

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
Re: Start feeding again?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:55:11 pm »
If you have a decent honey flow going on I would probaly give her 2 empty frames and take leave the super on.  If they have stored honey you should not have to feed yet.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:03:42 pm »
If you have a decent honey flow going on I would probaly give her 2 empty frames and take leave the super on.  If they have stored honey you should not have to feed yet.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how do I know if there is a "honey flow" going on?

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:06:14 pm »
Are there any plants flowering in your area?  Is there a lot of bees coming and going from you hives?  If so there is probaly a honey flow going on.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 11:10:41 pm »
Are there any plants flowering in your area?  Is there a lot of bees coming and going from you hives?  If so there is probaly a honey flow going on.

Yes to both!

Offline jason58104

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 11:14:31 pm »
give her some empty comb and hope she gets mated and starts to lay soon.

anything