Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Know of a fondant made with honey?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
Know of a fondant made with honey?
« on: November 04, 2007, 09:50:05 am »
I'd like to make a fondant to feed the bees over the winter made with some uncapped honey we extracted.  Know of any recipes?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
Re: Know of a fondant made with honey?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 11:58:33 am »
I just made some from a batch of honey I didn't feel was appropriate for human consumption; a couple of supers that I had pulled sat for a few eeeks in my kitchen ( a no-no) and got infested with wax moths. I'd never seen that happen before - wax moths getting into completely capped honey. Anyway, I put some frames back in the hives but extracted a few. Due to the abundance of the moth droppings that were everywhere I decided to keep it seperate from the "good" honey.  I experimented by substituting honey for corn syrup to make a basic fondant that the bees loved. I'll make more later in the winter if necessary.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 12:30:19 pm »
I just made some from a batch of honey......

And that recipe was  :?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 01:24:58 pm »
I'd like to make a fondant to feed the bees over the winter made with some uncapped honey we extracted.  Know of any recipes?

rule #1 in preventing disease spread. NEVER, EVER feed your bees back with extracted honey. many broke it, we all suffer because of it, when disease spreads.

now, don't ask me, why the extracted honey is more dangerous..it is.

i have no idea where michigan is, but i doubt it's southly?!?! or is it, anyways, we feed bees in fall, maybe even in spring and summer, but not during winter time.

i think robo once submited a good receipe for solid sugar plates or something...

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 09:01:06 pm »
i just use --10 cups sugar- 2 1/2 cups  water- 1/4 tea spoon of tatar and take it to 260f-- just pour and it hardens in an hour or so -- i even made a box to fit  frames into --lined it with parchment paper - put the in frames and poured the hot fondant in to the box--bam frames of fondant--great for feeding in the summer-- my bees loved it and it cut down on robbing-- i even have two frames in for winter for them to snack on if things get thin
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 09:22:20 pm »
Looking for "HONEY" recipes  :roll:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:30:03 am »
Superdave.  I found what you wrote about quite interesting, but I am trying to get a picture of what you did.  Could you elaborate a little deeper into how you got the fondant INTO the frames, were they empty frames or something?  Can't quite get it  :roll: ;)  Have a wonderful and greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 11:14:26 am »
hi cindi
here are some photos-- the first is the box with the parchment paper  in it and the the med. frame pressed into it --  i built the box with a 1/8" space around the whole frame so it is easliy to press in to the box and popped out -- when pouring the hot suger surup you should weigh down the frame because some times they want to float-

and here is the end result

hopfully this worked i havn't posted photos for some time now
and hopfully this helps out
superdave
lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 05:22:27 pm »
Regarding twb's original post, and 2 follow-ups by Jerrymac, I'd also like to respond by saying:

Show me the honey!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 05:33:49 pm »
This last post made me laugh so hard!!!

"SHOW ME THE HONEY".

I understand how it feels when the post is ignored.

Good Luck this time

Annette

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 05:47:22 pm »
If you got the honey sonny, I got the time......

NO WAIT!!!
That's not how the song goes.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 05:59:21 pm »
I love it when we get silly!!!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 11:21:33 pm »
Annette, hee, heee, we are all children at heart!!!!  I think we all know how the posts seem to go astray from the original topic, we are all guilty and I am probably one of the worst, but ha!!!!!  too bad!!!!!

Superdave.  Beautiful pics of your fondant frames, (I am almost afraid to type another word  :roll: ;) :)) But I see what you have done and an excellent job to boot!!!  Have a wonderful and greatest of days. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service