Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Space Between Cover & Frames  (Read 3236 times)

Offline gwalker314

• House Bee
Bee Space Between Cover & Frames
« on: May 22, 2009, 06:33:17 pm »
Maybe I am missing something here?
I have built several brood and honey supers (Deeps & mediums). I used the internet plans that show the frame rest is rabbeted 5/8" from the top edge of the front and rear of the boxes. I have purchased frames from 2 different suppiers and they are not the same thickness. Supplier A's frames are 3/8" thick and supplier B's are about 1/16" thicker. Even with the 3/8" frames the bee space would only be 1/4".
Is this adequate for the bees to cross over the frame tops to get to the feeder jar which is over the inner cover hole? Seems I read that bees need 3/8" ?
Could it cause other issues if the space is too small or too large if you flip the inner cover over? My inner cover only has a spcer on 1 side.

Thanks,
GW

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Bee Space Between Cover & Frames
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 06:44:56 pm »
If I remember correctly, 3/16 is the bee space. Any thing larger in the top will cause no problem except a little burr comb. Which is common with an inner cover, and some time with out one.
1/4 inch is fine. don't worry over it too  much.
If it turns out you have less than 3/16 just add a inner cover with the flange side down. :)doak

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 06:50:51 pm »
OH! if you don't have inner covers, just rip some 1/8th inch x 1 inch and "glue well"  and tack to the inside of the top cover to the same dementions as the sides.
doak

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:08:47 pm »
OH! if you don't have inner covers, just rip some 1/8th inch x 1 inch and "glue well"  and tack to the inside of the top cover to the same dementions as the sides.
doak

If you did this to a piece of plywood and cut a hole in it you would have an inner cover...

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 11:40:11 pm »
A bee can get through 3/16" but that is below beespace.  Beespace is between 1/4" and 3/8".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything