Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Re-queening.  (Read 1189 times)

Offline Jacar

• New Bee
Re-queening.
« on: April 25, 2016, 11:10:48 pm »
Apparently 2 out 3 of my second year hives swarmed. They had zero brood, and only one had some queen cells. Both have lots of bees.  Both were very strong in March. I added med supers to all 3, and  the one that didn't swarm I added a second super 2 days ago.

I took some capped brood from the queen right hive and put in the other hives. I can pick up some queens on May 6. Is that the best option or let them re-queen themselves?  Thanks.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Re-queening.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 08:18:19 am »
More likely than not, if they swarmed there's a virgin/skinny queen running around in there. Healthy hives swarm. Other hives abscond.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:15:06 am »
+1 to GSF

The zero brood thing confuses me......sounds like an abscond.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 09:33:09 am »
Jeff, an abscond wouldn't have ""lots of bees"".

Jacar, the queen cells in the one are duds. The likely scenario is like GSF said. Virgin queen. Between the time the last brood emerged, ""21 days"", and the time she starts laying. ""average 28 days"".
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:29:11 am »
wow I must be blind......how did I miss
Both have lots of bees.

Ignore me I guess I needed more coffee yesterday at 9 AM ;-P
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Jacar

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:39:24 pm »
Thanks. I'll check them again this weekend. I have some queens on order just in case.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:02:42 am »
Jacar
The queen cells will tell you what is happening.
If one is hatched with a round opening then you may have a queen.
If the other cells have the sides torn out of them then there is a young queen in there somewhere.
Strange to have zero brood and queen cells, are the queen cells recent, if so where are the rest of the eggs that these cells arose from?
If you have added brood with eggs they will draw out a queen cell if no queen is present, but if they don't draw a cell there  may be a queen present.

anything