Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lost one out of four  (Read 1764 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Lost one out of four
« on: April 15, 2007, 05:10:01 pm »
Greg and I are pretty unhappy.  One of the packages we installed in our yard (two went to my mother's) died.  It didn't seem right from the beginning, we treated them all the same, but this one just didn't take for some reason.  There was honey in the hive for them, plus a hivetop feeder.  The other three packages so far seem to be doing well.  I'm going to put our name in to the local swarm collector to get on the list for a swarm. 

On a better note, we did get our three nucs all set up in Maine.  That's a different thread  :)

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Lost one out of four
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:56:40 pm »
I've had that happen a couple of years ago I purchased a package.They were very mean from the start I don't were my gear when I install a package but I should of that time.They were poor and just never took of they died in the fall
wierd
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 08:41:39 pm »
This package died in 4 or 5 days. Looks like they starved to death even though like Ann said we gave them honey and a hivetop feeder to feed off. There was food 3"-4" from some of the dead ones. Seems weird this package would die even though we installed it the same way as the other three hives. Luck of the draw I guess?
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 04:53:33 pm »
Update: I filled the plastic hivetop feeders today and it looked like the girls weren't even using them. Glad we put honey in the hive for the girls to eat. Hope they find the syrup soon.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau