Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How can I overcome?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Mircea_63

• New Bee
How can I overcome?
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:11:36 am »
 It`s my second year of beekeeping.

In the springtime, I have a very good development and pretty good harvest, until acacia. After this time...bad times:  :-x   Swarming cell, no working, less brood.
 I split the hive and this is good for moment, I like to increase the number of bees family, but I have a long time my hives in decline. June and July  are lost...

Your advice is wellcome!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: How can I overcome?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 03:13:02 pm »
Swarm cells are not always a bad thing.  They are telling you something.  So you do have some brood? 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 05:32:51 pm »
In this case you should make an artificial swarm, and not to split hive.

After AS then join the hive parts again when swarming fever is over.

lead the bees on foundations. They start to draw them and they think that they swarmed.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:03:12 pm »
In this case you should make an artificial swarm, and not to split hive.

After AS then join the hive parts again when swarming fever is over.

lead the bees on foundations. They start to draw them and they think that they swarmed.

Finski I am almost afraid to ask but...... please elaborate I am curious an want to learn. If the bee population is in decline why pull a swarm?
John 3:16

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:11:38 am »
If the bee population is in decline why pull a swarm?

One strong hive is better than two weak hives.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 11:55:27 am »
if i'm reading this right, he already split the hive.  i think finski is saying it would have been better to simulate a swarm and put it on foundation than to take half the brood and resources from the original hive.  my thoughts are that if the flow is over this may have been a supersedure cell instead of a swarm cell.  but, i'm not familiar with the seasons or weather cycles in that part of the world.  also, i have a hive that always keeps a viable queen cell around.  there may have been nothing to worry about at all.

Offline Mircea_63

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 02:20:55 pm »
 My hives have been in swarm fever. Finsky suggest an artificial swarming. May be this is good to return from swarm fever. I never tryed this yet.

I gave it space, provided shade...nothing. Finally I thinking to provide a better queen.

Artificial swarming may be good for 3-4 hives, but i hope develop my apiary and i will have not time in this case, for each hive. Not good for time management.

Thanks Finsky, I appreciate your advise. Next year I will try AS. I am curious to see that.